Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overclock your Cd Writer

Default Re:Overclock your Cd Writer

Hardware met Software on the road to Changtse. Software said: ``You are Yin and I am Yang. If we travel together we will become famous and earn vast sums of money.'' And so the set forth together, thinking to conquer the world.

Presently they met Firmware, who was dressed in tattered rags and hobbled along propped on a thorny stick. Firmware said to them: ``The Tao lies beyond Yin and Yang. It is silent and still as a pool of water. It does not seek fame, therefore nobody knows its presence. It does not seek fortune, for it is complete within itself. It exists beyond space and time.''

Software and Hardware, ashamed, returned to their homes.

Indeed overclocking many products is dangerous for a given firmware set.
    It is also true that most manufacturers lock their products to a given speed, using some hardware, software and firmware techniques. They at least attempt to lock them.

The AMD athlon cpu can be overclocked by using a pencil to connect broken circuit lines... the Barton CPU can be converted from XP to MP using the same trick... Classic Pentium II cpus needed a resistor modification to enable overclocking.. some even enabled extra cache.

What is the relevance... Many hardware makers cut cost by making one product, then reducing its speed. Intel does this. I remember in the days of 486 CPu's when many 33Mhz cpus were actually 66Mhz cpus... Intel had labled them as 33Mhz to meet demand.

I know for a fact that many CDRW makers use the same trick... the hardware is physically possible of doing higher than rated speed, it is the firmware that can "unlock these hidden secrets".
    That being said Firmware updates can either increase a deveice performance and stability, increase its raw speed, or down right destroy it.

On that note:
    My sound blaster live PCI sound card has "features" that allow me to control the volume of the card using 2 push bottons.
    It is pure hardware means... they do not provide the points of connection, but the circuit board is the same as for the more expensive SBlive cards. So all it takes is for me to solder the points together and I have a FULL feautured SBlive.

There are a few firmware patches/updates linux coders have built for many hardware devices, incluing CDRW's that allow said hardware to "give a little more".

As for software... I do not give much credenence to software overclocking any piece of hadware... it is... against my religion

But overclocking hardware without the requisit Firmware checks, modifications and/or updates is SERIOUSLY DANGEROUS.

--regards
    Gillion
    P.S. Most Mother board BIOS programs contain hidden settings that given the right "hacking tools" you can modify your original bios file and reflash it.

aaahhh bwoy.....

ok

still working with the example that I mentioned here is a site.

http://wolfgang.dazy.free.fr/yamaha/upgrade.html

Now, note also the FAQ's

this one especially

Does a upgraded Yamaha work correct with 4 times speed?
    Yes

This is from the 2x to the now 4x.

Other sites exists for other writers.

I saw something like that a few weeks ago...but note one ver important point Nas,

.... 2x to 4x SCSI models

Do you still use a 2x drive? I didn't think so.
    Many users will make the better choice of spending the $40 for a 48x

In other words, (your homework) show me a firmware or program that will increase the speed of a 48x drive ;D

What is the relevance... Many hardware makers cut cost by making one product, then reducing its speed. Intel does this. I remember in the days of 486 CPu's when many 33Mhz cpus were actually 66Mhz cpus... Intel had labled them as 33Mhz to meet demand.
    yes...but the reason for this is quite simple.
    1.when the fab has a run on a given chip, due to the layering of silicon and other material, the layer thicknesses between tranny junctions etc will undoubtably cause a difference in electron speeds thru the chips. this determines the final overall response of the chip.
    2.the manufacturers try to have their chips perform within a standard...eg. temp or stability range and so they test for these conditions.
    3. once they determine that a given 'manufactured batch' will average certain behaviour, the descision is then made as to what speed they will run at and thats normally lower than the avreage speed. this provides for the better stability of the product.

so, if we go make some 1.4ghz chips, its inevatable we gonna get less than 20% of them.....the rest wind up being 1, 900,1, 1.2 ghz....etc etc.....otherwise they would all be the same.....

they cant help that.... ;D 8)

Actually,

The have be cases where 48x has been upgraded.

Unfortunately, do that has been problematic and unstable unlike the slower speeds.

Hey if serve them right.

If you have a 48x writer why will you want to upgrade it? I can't make head or tails of it.

I have never cd a CDr black CD that is greater than 48x, yet I am seeing now an influx of 52x writers.

Ah well.

In any case upgrade 48x can be done, but it is not advised.