Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overclock your Cd Writer

Default Overclock your Cd Writer

YESSS!!!!!

It is possible to overclock....that is, update your cd writer, depending on which brand it is.

For each hardware to work properly, it requires a set of instructions called firmware (software what is preloaded into the hardware components). Some writers are capable of working with the firmware of a newer model of its type.

eg. Yamaha CDR 200 to Yamaha CDR 400
    and more....

check out the web to see if your writer can be upgraded and how

Default Re:Overclock your Cd Writer

Yow boss, mind you really BURN your CD's ;D

Seriously though, I know of the firmware upgrades but I never thought of the possibility of using the firmware of a newer burner in a compatible older one. It's something worth looking into. Thanks.

Please be careful how you pass information, This Forum as a reputation.

Overclocking and firmware upgrading (ROM Flashing) are two different things. If you want me to get into the nitty gritty my pleasure.

Peace Kacey.

Please do get into the "knitty gritty" I'm always willing to learn

Firmware upgrading in and of itself is not a task to be undertaken lightly much less overclocking.... ;D

Yep... I have gotten burnt upgrading firmware... now I'd rather (sometimes, that is) go and buy a new drive than twinkle with firmware upgrading.

Indeed Kacey, you are correct.

Firmware upgrade (Rom flashing) is a different concept from ROM flashing. There are times when the term "overclocking" is used to give the idea of making a computer hardware operate faster that what it is designed to do.

This I had done and not to use the term overclocking in the strict sence of the jargon.

If it has misled anyone in anyway I do apologise.

Thanks for pointing that out Kacey.

8)

Yes Kacey and Nastrodamus, its important to point out the difference between firmware upgrading and "overclocking". I guess that when I read the original post I was able to understand what Nastrodamus was implying because I know the difference, but there are others who don't and so would need to be informed and advised. 8)

Firmware_Upgrade != Overclocking

However

Upgrading_Firmware --> Overclocking is possible.

Simply put, you can flash the EPROM on a CD-Burner with the instruction set of a newer model which will allow the hardware to perform faster than it was originally designed. That IS overclocking in every sense.

With burners it's a relatively simple step, though the upgrades will at times turn your burner into a coaster factory, then again, you can always revert.

You all are kidding right?
    Do you have a link that show's this being done?
    Manufacturers of cdroms limit the speed of their products both manually and via software.

A 16x rated cdrom will only go up to 16x. Using software however, you can lower the speed of your cdrom, not increase it.
    Upgrading the firmware of the cdrom will no doubt increase the stability and not the speed of the drive.

Some users will report that by changin the ide cables on their drive, they see faster burning speeds. This is simply because they were using a 40 pin cable instead of 80 pin recommende by the manufacturer. Note: to determine best cable check your manual.

Check BIOS settings, maybe with a little tweaking you can get better stability.
    Check that your drive supports DMA transfer. If not, disable it.

I recently say a news post by sony the other day saying that they are releasing a firmware update for their DVD+-RW drive. This firmware "will" upgrade the writing speed of the drive from 2x to 4x. If i can find the link I will post it...