Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Soul Calibur 4

I never really liked the fighting system in this game

The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

SC3 did mad but SC4 is going to be crazy but mi need fi get a ps3 fi true
    Gaming Rig:CM HAF 912|Core i5-3570k|8GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz|Asrock z77 Extreme4|MSI GTX 760 OC 4GB DDR5|1TB WD Bluex2+60GB Corsair Force 3 SSD|CM EXtreme2 725w

IGN Yoda in Action Video
    http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/876/876529p1.html

So how u tell Low, Mid, High when fighting against Yoda??

The little green Jedi poses a few unique challenges for developer Project Soul. He wields a lightsaber, a powerful weapon that should have no trouble slicing through a steel sword or a pole arm; he is a master of the Force; and he's less than four feet tall.

To keep from breaking the game, a few concessions had to be made. The lightsaber isn't going to lop off hands or do any more damage than the other weapons wielded in Soulcalibur 4. The weapon is an extension of Yoda in the same way that Maxi's nunchaku are a part of his being.

As for the Force, well, Yoda does have some minor power applications here. He can perform Force pushes, which can aid in ring outs or (more often) to give some spacing. This is balanced by a special energy meter that drains when Yoda uses the Force.

And then there is the height. Yoda is short -- there's no way around it. And that means that if he is standing on the ground, he won't be hit by high attacks. Don't worry though -- Yoda doesn't stay on the ground for long. There are plenty of opportunities to land high attacks when Yoda is airborne. Though he's quick, those who play defensively and with patience will find their opportunities to strike.

Though there are some limitations to the power of his lightsaber and use of the Force, Yoda is still very much the bad *** we witnessed in Episode Two. He moves with incredible speed and has numerous combos that launch him into the air. One move has the wizened Jedi somersaulting and then planting his foot into the opponent's face repeatedly without needing to touch the ground. He's nimble, quick, and a small target.

Yoda is the kind of character that, if played with some expertise, will give your opponents fits. Nothing could be more humiliating then to have Yoda beckon you forward with a taunt only to then have him launch into the air and unleash a fury of lightsaber attacks. If you don't use defense, battles with Yoda come to a quick end.

It isn't all biscuits and gravy with Yoda. He does have some weaknesses to help balance him out. That short stature may cancel out high attacks from enemies, but it also makes Yoda's reach the worst in Soulcal IV. He has no choice but to get up close and personal. Against someone like Kilik, who can extend his range with the bo staff, Yoda can be in for some trouble.
    Last edited by zRo ToLeRaNcE; May 27, 2008 at 09:23 AM.
    the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by owen View Post
    I never really liked the fighting system in this game
    Are you kidding? It's the best, revolutionary.

SC3 wasn't as good as SC2, so i am hoping that they bring the heat with SC4. I'm looking forward to the improvements they make on Maxi.

I wish they would put Yoda and Vader in the same game. But playing as Vader on the PS3 will be fun.

Update:

Darth Vader's mysterious new apprentice will be in both the PS3 and XBOX360 versions of Soul Calibur 4.

Trailer here.

Se we get some true light saber action after all.

Soul Calibur 4 is definitely another reassn to get the PS3 or the 360 man that graphics & AI engine is superb!!!
    Master Yoda:"Strong with the force TechJamaica is"

So Yoda have a secret apprentice also then...cause without that...it wouldn't make sense.
    And his apprentice has to be a woman
    the lesson afterwards

Shipment reached finally, and my copy of Soul Calibur 4 has arrived.

I've just finished a few hours of gameplay.

Verdict?

Quite simply, it selleth awfeth!

There is nothing more gratifying than delivering a crushing strike with one's light saber (ok, so it doesn't behave like a true light saber since it doesn't cut through regular swords and stuff) then lifting your opponent off the ground with the force levitation, then finishing them with the patented Vader force choke.

I dunno how I pulled that one off, but man did it look sweet!

Gripes: the "Story" mode is way too short. It's laughably short. But there are other modes to occupy. Plus, 2-player is where it's at.

There is online play. Haven't tested that out yet, but after I've honed my skills, I will take on the rest of the world.

I've only played using Vader and the Apprentice (ok and just a little Mitsurugi).

The Apprentice is a real bad man. He's got some nasty force lightening.

They ought to just make a Star Wars version of SC. The Sith vs sith fighting is just a thing of beauty.