Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Linux on PS3

i really want to see how this turn out.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Alright, I've been a delinquent, but I'm going back on track with this project now. I'm downloading YellowDog Linux 6 DVD iso now. I've backed up my saved game data from the PS3. When download is complete, I will burn the DVD and begin the installation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rizzle View Post
    Thanks Rizzle. This thread was start long before pezz thread. I'm using this one to chronicle my experience with the setup.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    Thanks Rizzle. This thread was start long before pezz thread. I'm using this one to chronicle my experience with the setup.
    No prob, yea i realised that after i made the post & cudnt bother edit it..

Tell me how it go when u do it an how it stay cuz i plan on gettin a 160/320 gb hard drive for ma ps3 soon suh ida wnt u burn a copy fa me b4 a cut so wen a go up i can play game n regula computing in ma tv room on a 52" ....hopefully

Ok. I started the install this morning. I backed up my game data, then formatted the PS3 hard disk and partitioned it. I set 10Gb for the Other OS. Then transferred control to "Other OS" and the reboot came. The YelloDog Linux DVD was in the drive and upon boot, up came the Linux boot screen. Immediately I realized there was going to be pain. I don't have an HD TV. I've got a regular TV. So it's low resolution city for me. Hence, the graphical install will not run. That's ok. I can still get the install done, then turn on the GUI mode in low res and still give it a whirl. However, reading text on a regular TV monitor is really not fun. Anywayz I continue until it gets to the kboot prompt. I press enter, it starts doing an autodetect and then the screen goes blank. I'm figuring that it didn't like my regular TV monitor.

So I'm gonna postpone the install until I get an LCD TV.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCryptoKnight View Post
    Ok. I started the install this morning. I backed up my game data, then formatted the PS3 hard disk and partitioned it. I set 10Gb for the Other OS. Then transferred control to "Other OS" and the reboot came. The YelloDog Linux DVD was in the drive and upon boot, up came the Linux boot screen. Immediately I realized there was going to be pain. I don't have an HD TV. I've got a regular TV. So it's low resolution city for me. Hence, the graphical install will not run. That's ok. I can still get the install done, then turn on the GUI mode in low res and still give it a whirl. However, reading text on a regular TV monitor is really not fun. Anywayz I continue until it gets to the kboot prompt. I press enter, it starts doing an autodetect and then the screen goes blank. I'm figuring that it didn't like my regular TV monitor.

So I'm gonna postpone the install until I get an LCD TV.
    I'll wait till you do it o wise one. tell us how it turns out...
    Hostile Takeover - It's Funny how money changes situations.
    Check out my link below
    http://www.youtube.com/user/TheAinzlee

Are you using the same hard drive that came in the console or you are using extra hard drive. After formating the hard drive are you still able to play your games

Yes him can still play game .....the ps3 will dual boot i not sure if iz d same hard drive him hav in it, probli not bt i aint sure ....formatting the ps3 hard drive WILL NOT delete the ps3 OS or do anything to its console ability

thanks for clearing up that, I though the ps3 is dead because it dont have on any os on it