Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on PS3

Well, for me, I want to do it :

1. Because it'll be fun to do
    2. Because by installing Linux on the PS3, I can maximize my investment in the hardware. It is a full blown computer after all, so why not empower it to act like one?
    3. Because even though Sony wants the PS3 to be your media hub, it can't natively play certain media files which may be commonly used eg. certain .avi files. It doesn't appear to have a convenient way to get the right codecs etc. setup on it. If I install Linux, then that issue goes away nicely since you can easily get the tools you need to access various kinds of content.
    4. Because I'd be able to stream Internet Radio and watch YouTube videos from my comfy recliner in the TV room now.
    Every time I think I have seen it all, something like this pops up. What next??

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Every time I think I have seen it all, something like this pops up. What next??
    You mean that in a good way right?

What's next? You know about the Linux based PS3 supercomuting cluster implementations right? You know that IBM is pushing use of Linux on the PS3 to develop high performance computing applications right? Who knows what else is next?

Can you run the regular games on the PS3 after you have loaded Linux?

What operating system does it come with originally?

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock View Post
    Can you run the regular games on the PS3 after you have loaded Linux?
    Yes you can. When you install Linux, you would be essentially setting up for dual booting between Linux and the "game OS".

Quote Originally Posted by jamrock
    What operating system does it come with originally?
    The PS3 system software is what is loaded by default. Not sure if it has another name. But they issue system updates periodically to enhance functionality and fix bugs. The graphical user interface is called the Xross Media Bar.

Here's something about the OS on the PS3 as well as the XBOX 360 OS

Talking Another use for Linux on a PS3

Using a PS3, a senior security consultant has come up with a way to drastically increase the processing capability of cracking passwords.

Read more

The strength of cryptography implementations is usually based on its cracking time -- how long it would take for someone to sit down and crack it, says Breese. His discovery has demonstrated that the capability of cracking encryption algorithms has multiplied by 100.
    The Cell processor strikes again

LOL, is there anything my baby can't do
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5