Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux on PS3

Default Linux on PS3

Has anyone with a PS3 gone ahead and installed Linux on it? If so, what distro did you run on it? What was the experience like?

Not sure but i think the ps3 got its own distro called yellow dog
    MSI NF750-G55 Motherboard , AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana 3.1 GHz ,
    Corsair XMS3 4GB 2 X 2 GB PC3-10666
    ,Seagate Barracuda 500 gb HDD , Nvidia GT520 , Acer 20'' LCD Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by MasterSnake View Post
    Not sure but i think the ps3 got its own distro called yellow dog
    That was the official one for PS3 I think, but they abandoned the official thing. Now, supposedly you can install Gentoo, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, OpenSuse as well as YellowDog Linux on the PS3.

Here's the Ubuntu PS3 install info page.

I've decided to download YellowDog Linux and set it up on my PS3. I'll use this thread to chronicle the experience.

Why YellowDog Linux? Well it was the distro that was officially sanctioned by Sony for the PS3, and from what I've read, the setup process is more refined since it was built with the PS3 in mind. I'll see if that holds true. More after the download and DVD burn is complete.

STUPID.. QUESTION... What possible reason .. who you want to buya PS3 and then install linux on it...

Wouldnt it more to .. try to get a PS3 Software to run on linux...
    Why fight Information Technology when you can outsource IT

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    STUPID.. QUESTION... What possible reason .. who you want to buya PS3 and then install linux on it...

Wouldnt it more to .. try to get a PS3 Software to run on linux...
    Well, for me, I want to do it :

1. Because it'll be fun to do
    2. Because by installing Linux on the PS3, I can maximize my investment in the hardware. It is a full blown computer after all, so why not empower it to act like one?
    3. Because even though Sony wants the PS3 to be your media hub, it can't natively play certain media files which may be commonly used eg. certain .avi files. It doesn't appear to have a convenient way to get the right codecs etc. setup on it. If I install Linux, then that issue goes away nicely since you can easily get the tools you need to access various kinds of content.
    4. Because I'd be able to stream Internet Radio and watch YouTube videos from my comfy recliner in the TV room now.

Here's somebody elses take on the matter.

It's all about squeezing as much value from the system as possible.

Let me know how this goes BCK, I might consider doing it myself or better yet have u do it for me
    Device: iPhone® 4S OS: v5