Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Supply Units Explained.

neggi ... single ftw, dual is a marketing trick

Quote Originally Posted by Electrotechnic View Post
    Yup... from long time. Now take a look at the time of my post

I like the mushkin too. My PSU was a cheap 20USD one from the but it seems to be able to do the job perfectly at the moment.
    That time is the last time I edited the post BUT that wasn't to add this thread to the sticky. I added the thread the same night Xeno posted it.
    The trouble with learning from experience
    is that the test comes first and
    the lesson afterwards

Oh zn.... good work

Wish others would follow your lead

*cough* *cough* BCK *cough*

Just kidding man!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Thumbs up Time is the Master

Quote Originally Posted by semitop View Post
    ...them telling me the gpu needs 30 gives no help because i would be no better off in knowing which PSU would be adequate for my entire system.
    - Semitop, that test was done pre-Crysis. At that point in time, no killer-app existed for the 8800GTX or Ultra. So the test results are as valid as testing for pregnancy the morning after the condom broke. Nothing valuable is going to show up on the test because no scenario had existed then to exhibit the true potential of the hardware. Read the reviews of cheap high wattage PSUs on NewEgg, and you will see people who're running multi-rail PSUs with 20a on each rail, having their system bow out because the 8800GTX sucked the 12v rail dry.

It's important that we all take the necessary precautions not to damage our $545 USD investment. We shouldn't go recommending to anyone that a PSU with 18a or even 20a rails is good enough to burn through Crysis without a brown out. It would be professionally irresponsible, and we'd loose credibility as technological enthusiasts.

I recommend that gamers take any one of these options:
    • Get a Mushkin PSU (I recommend the HP-580AP @ $99 USD - best value for money) which will fuse the rail amperage should the system demand more.

OR

• Get a single rail PSU with at least 38a on the 12v rail. I recommend 60a or more if you're going to trick out your box and add multiple drives. Use the wattage calculator at NewEgg to give you a ballpark figure of a PSU to look for.

OR

• If you're running an 8800GTS/X card, and you HAVE to get a multi-rail PSU, get a PSU which has two PCI-E connectors and drop BOTH of them into the card. There are two PCI-E power ports along the top of the card to provide for just this scenario.

Single rails are less stable.
    - Actually, single rails are more stable because there is less risk for brown out from a particular rail getting sucked dry. Multi-rail PSUs are more succeptible to brown-outs under heavy load because the amperage is distributed so evenly (see the reference material). A multi-rail psu will bow out irrespective of which rail runs dry. That's why it's more likely to bow out than a single rail PSU. You have to remember three things:
    1. Multi-rail PSUs were conceived of in lieu of any anticipation that a GPU could draw more than 6 amps. It's really because of a lack of vision. It's just like how Bill Gates once said that 640k of memory would be good enough for anybody.

2. Multi-rail PSUs were designed to provide cleaner power for the wider non-gamer, non-enthusiast, non-overclocking, non-tweak-the-crap-out-of-your-pc audience, which represents the larger 80% of the PC market.

3. The 2.2 Spec doesn't handle the possibility of an overclocked high end GPU, like that bad boy from Foxconn. That GPU has a core clocked to 630MHz and memory clocked to 2000MHz.

Here is a GPU that will eat mid-range PSUs for breakfast:

People like most of the gamers who gravitate towards this site are NOT ordinary computer users. We're techies, most of us - hardcore techies representing the more active of our population. Whereas the ordinary tech user would rather buy a XBOX 360 for $400 and call it a day for the next 5 years, most of us upgrade our machines every 2 - 3 years, and will easily spend 3 times that amount on upgrades that would put both the XBOX360 and PS3 to shame. We like our tech to be bleeding edge. We can't deal with the "watering down" of software every 2 years to match an already obsolete console. That's why our power requirements are going to be different from Joe Schmo who's fine running his games at 1024x768 with no anti-aliasing and medium level detail.

We have to make the differentiation between "ordinary computer user" and "enthusiast gamer" here. Ordinary users will be fine with an 18a multi-rail PSU. Enthusiast gamers will not.

All this quad sli and crossfireX bull.
    - So you're an ordinary user - that it?

Now ppl can't even use PCI slots anymore once they decked out with GPUs.
    - Work wid the program my yute. How many other add-on cards are you really going to need after you deck the board with a GPU and a sound card? I mean seriously, technology is going back to the monolithic paradigm where everything is on board.

Red face

Xeno for max is every 2 - 3 years months... unu just memba dat...

Anyway... my new point spin off is this.... unu people who buying the 300 dalla video caad and the 300 dalla cpu and the 300 dalla motherboard...

if unu caa buy a 200 dalla power supply unu gu home... cho backside...
    cell: 807-4523| email: mysonchug@yahoo.com | PM Me

http://techreport.com/articles.x/12379/8

a highend 8800ultra system uses 315W under load (whole system)
    Thats 315/12 = 26.25 amps. < 30amps for the whole system by the top end GPU. And all o dat is not coming from the 12v rail(s)

8800GTS in SLI uses 393W under load
    393/12 = 32.75 amps . finally over 30amps in sli but thats not all from the 12v rail still. And thats a system with an x6800 core 2 extreme and 4gb ram

was making sense till u said "And all o dat is not coming from the 12v rail(s)". If it aint coming from it alone then why are u dividing by 12....IF your gonna say its coming from other rails u gotta adjust ur calculations to show that bro.

Anyway dis is the PSU i have currently running my socket A system in my sig lol.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817190007
    Here's the specs
    Model
    Brand XION
    Model XON-600F14T-201
    Series PowerReal
    Spec
    Type ATX12V
    Maximum Power 600W
    Fans 140mm Silent Blue LED Fan
    PFC No
    Main Connector 20+4Pin
    +12V Rails 2
    PCI-E Connectors 2 x 6Pin
    NVIDIA SLI Support Yes
    Input Voltage 100 ~ 120Vac/200 ~ 240Vac
    Input Frequency Range 47 - 63 Hz
    Input Current 10.7/6.2A
    Output +3.3V@35A, +5V@53A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, -5V@0.5A, -12V@0.8A, +5VSB@2.5A
    MTBF 100,000+ hours at 70% of full rated load
    Features
    Features MB - 20+4 Pins x 1 (MainBoard)
    12V - 4 Pins x 1 (MainBoard)
    12V/5V - 4 Pins x 10 (Drives)
    SATA - x 2
    Floppy – 4 Pins x 2
    PCI Express (VGA) – 6 Pins x 2/Converter

Now the questions is... Can it run a 8800GT SLI setup or can it run it?
    Last edited by Genesis2kx; Nov 21, 2007 at 01:44 AM.
    [AMD Gallardo] [Asus M2N SLI Deluxe] [AMD 5000+ X2 black edition @ 3.2GHZ] [Zalman CNPS9700 LED][ EVGA 8800GT 512MB] [Gskill 2GB x 2 DDR2800] [Seagate 320GB IDE][Seagate 1TB, 750GB, 320GB SATA II][Western Digital 1TB SATA II][XION 600W] [NEC DL DVD-RW] [Antec Nine Hundred MidATX] [19" BenQ FP93GX LCD][40" Samsung LNA500LCD HDTV 1080p][Logitech X-230 2.1]

oh, right. Well the point is that its less than that from the 12v rail. U can understand that right? the number i divide by really doesn't change that bro.

And if i so wished to justify myself i could simply say that that is the maximum that COULD be coming from the 12v rail, but not all of it IS from the 12V rail bro.

Anyway, Xions site is so useless. Couldn't find the product page for that psu. But the newegg site shows nothing about OVP/OCP/OTP etc... have to find out the max current that ur 12v rails can output to be sure about the 8800gt SLI.

I has a question, whats up with automatic voltage switching? A psu without the back 115/220 V switch. Is it reliable or is there reason for concern.
    Last edited by semitop; Nov 21, 2007 at 10:32 AM.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

Genesis you see the all important factor in the line about 100,000 hours... the EFFICIENCY.... only 70%.... so for you it's....

12 (rail) x 22 (amps on rail) x .7 (efficiency) = 184 watts solid on that rail...

what you need now is the electrical diagram on your power supply to identify which connectors are on each rails... such as the cpu power, the video card power & the peripheral connectors.
    cell: 807-4523| email: mysonchug@yahoo.com | PM Me

Thats not the efficiency. Is just the mtbf at 70% load. lol, best ting to do is try it out an see if ur computer blows. It has no PFC so effiency would be close to 80 max.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817182088
    This is the one i bought and the one i was wondering about the auto switching thing for.
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    You assume all risk for your use. © 2006 Azix Solutions.
    All rights reserved.

Dropbox: http://db.tt/8qVS35lo

On a socket A system Genesis? You serious???? God I hate you! LOL!

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate