Thread: Help Finding HP DV4 Resistor

Default Help Finding HP DV4 Resistor

Hi all. Have a DV4 for my wife that I literally got from a friend - decided to give my wife after fixing up. Realized that the screen doesn't come on and after opening it up it seems like a resistor is burnt. Problem is that I don't know the value or the number on the board. Any help finding this would be greatly appreciated.

The full model of the laptop is DV4-1548dx.

Motherboard part number I believe is JAL50 LA-4105P.
    Last edited by khat17; Oct 27, 2013 at 10:09 AM.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

So since nobody replied I've done a bit of checking and decided to try something. The missing resistor on the RIGHT in the LAST PICTURE was replaced using a 3.9 ohm resistor - I wanted to get 3.5 but couldn't. Since I've done this the laptop screen has been working without an issue. It should be noted that though the resistor on the LEFT of the missing one is burnt I tested it and got 3.5 kilo-ohms from it. I need to do some verification and pics will follow later on. Maybe. Since it's already assembled and such.
    Knowing the solution doesn't mean knowing the method. Yet answering correctly and regurgitation are considered "learning" and "knowledge".

Impressive, good job.

Ive never tried changing a surface mount component before. Good job indeed, most people including technicians would've thrown that board out or even the whole computer.

There are two ways to go about it. If you can get back the EXACT item then you can put it back into the same spot. Failing that you need to find somewhere else that you can put the item. In my case I did the latter - found a spot in the laptop that the size resistor I got would fit then ran wires to the solder points on the board. Can't make it too far though as distance and the type of wires used may affect the value of the item you change depending on what it is.

*EDIT*
    I've taken the pics but left the camera - will have to deal with that later or tomorrow and upload.
    Last edited by khat17; Dec 14, 2013 at 07:44 AM.