Thread: Cursor Hijacker...

Default Cursor Hijacker...

Does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying box which hijacks the mouse pointer? I did not install any spy-ware/freeware related software in the past 12hours. And it just appeared out of no where and hijacked my cursor (mouse pointer). I'm using Win2k Pro and I only have this problem with one of the user profiles (Desktop). If any one got a solution other than Format-Reinstall...Let me know.

Default Re:Cursor Hijacker...

From info you related I cannot diagnose much....
    First time I am hearing about a mouse hijacker ;D ;D

Some more precise info would be appreciated....

The name "Cursor Hijacker" is what I call it, because that's exactly what it does. To be more specific, whenever the cursor hovers over a text box that's when the cursor changes the annoying box. If i go to change the cursor it won't make a difference because, it displays the original icon and not the box.

hhmmmm,

Ropy I think that you rare refferring to a bar code looking square that the Cursor has changed to...

It is a result of 2 things,

1. A corrupt OS installation CD...(especially bootleg)
    2. A html script that is sent via junk emails (the ones that appear blank)

Theses are the reasons that I am aware of.....

Solution ......

(1) Buy the OS ( yeah right ) or get a better cop... I mean back up of the OS.

(2) NONE....back up important files, delete the partition using fdsik, and create new partitions and install the OS.

Prevention.....

(1) Don't Keep old bootlegs.... (after a couple of months make a new copy and discard the old)

(2) DO NOT open emails from persons you don't know. The script usually varies from 123k to 128k (win2k+xp) and 382k and 512k (Xp).

This is what I know on the matter other things could result though.

It's not a bootleg just a Backup from school, and I had no previous problems. Nor did recieve any e-mail of that sort recently... It's puzzling how it happend...

just a Backup from school
    Schools are good places to get virus infections, trojan horses, spyware, etc.

Some of these things sleep until some trigger takes place. Perhaps a date or some kind of activity. Then they wake up and start to do all kind of stuff.

Perhaps it would be a good idea to do a thorough anti-virus scan of your machine.

You could also compare notes with someone who has a backup from school as well.

I finally solved the problem; I believe it was a result of one of two results below:

1. Earlier in the morning I had installed and uninstalled Windows Blinds which required restart. But I didn't do so, It could have been the machine telling me to restart or else it would mess with me...It seems to have AI. ;D

2. I did a viral scan and numerous virus were detected, But they were mostly part of Port Scanner (Sub7).

I believe it's the first one mainly because when the machine was restarted, it went away. But I didn't think this would work because I had a similar encounter on another machine and that didn't work. Thanks for the suggestions...

Ropy, good to know the problem is solved, and we also learned in the process ;D