Thread: Recording TV shows to PC Like TIVO

Default Recording TV shows to PC Like TIVO

Is there a software that can record shows to pc like TIVO? By monitoring the subcarrier tv guide to start recording weekly or daily.

You will need a PC TV Tuner Card ($50-$150 each) I use windows media center edition to setup what times to record shows etc.

Can u leave the machine for it to record weekly or daily, without having to start recording manually?

Quote Originally Posted by ovaclock View Post
    Can u leave the machine for it to record weekly or daily, without having to start recording manually?
    I can set it to start recording on any date, the computer starts recording on the set dates and times.

u think the haupage is a good card?

Windows Media Center will schedule and record when you setup the guide. I used to setup mine as if it was directtv in NY (since most of my cable stations were fron NY) and direct tv usually has most if not all channels in their guide. So I set it up and go through manually and remove the ones I dont have and keep the ones I do and arrange them in the right order. It takes time but you only have to do it once.

Re what card to get, ATI has some new cards that are good, BUT, you could always get Flow and a premium set top box and you will be able to record 2 channels at once while watching something that you previously recorded plus pause live tv etc

Quote Originally Posted by ovaclock View Post
    u think the haupage is a good card?
    ATI cards are good. I know a few people they have ATI cards and use them to record shows with no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mjj4363 View Post
    ATI cards are good. I know a few people they have ATI cards and use them to record shows with no problem.
    I heard the haupage cards dont record the audio in digital so u cant get dolby 5.1 playback, is this true? Does the ATI record audio in digital?

It all depends on how you hook it up. Most cable companies that OFFER digital will encrypt the content so the only way to hook it up will be s-video or composite for video and Stereo RCA for audio so digital 5.1 surround is out of the question regardless of what card you use