Thread: Bluetooth In here JA.

Default Bluetooth In here JA.

Blutooth is here, and here to stay .

Bluetooth and WiFi (802.llb/a/g) is probably one of favorite technologies in the 21st1 Century to hit center stage. The ability for various devices of platform and size to communicate seamlessly and intelligently is just amazing. Eliminating the bulkley wires and standardizing communication is a major achievement, although taken lightly. I would just like to clarify the role and application of both wireless technologies for those who are still confused about them.

Bluetooth wireless technology, referred to as a PAN (Personal Area Network) will replace those short running cables such as serial cables, parallel cables, cellphone data cables such as those hands free cables, cellphone to PC data cable, Serial and USB docking cradles that comes with PDAs, and the now common line of sight infrared (IrDA). Its application also extends into the appliance and automotive area, but for now its roots take shape in the PC and cellphone arena. Bluetooth as a maximum rage of 10 meters, and a frequency of 2.401 Mhz. Checkout the site at http://www.bluetooth.com/ its a nice too.

WiFi (802.11b/a/g) wireless technology as a more robust application, its main application is in a LAN (Local Area Network). This simply means that network cables that connect computers to a hub or to each other in a home or a typical office will no longer be needed. This level of traffic, monitoring and power consumption cannot be handled by a bluetooth PAN. 80211b operates at a frequency of 2.4Ghz with a maximum range about 100 meters.

Some Bluetooth devices presently here in Jamaica:

IPAQ 3870 and 3970
    Nokia 6310
    Sony Ericsson T68i
    Palm Tungsten.

Just Imagine having your cellphone, PDA and computer constantly updating each other.

Peace, Kacey

Default Re:Bluetooth In here JA.

Yeah, my only encounter with bluetooth is seeing it in action between a Sony Ericsson T68i and a headset.

I've heard it said though that bluetooth is facing fierce competition from 802.11b. My take is that 802.11b is ideal for LANS (as Kacey also highlighted) and bluetooth would be ideal for more personal consumer devices like cell phones.

Default Re:Bluetooth In here JA.

hmmm... i agree that WiFi is better for LANS and general networking of all sorts, while bluetooth is better for small device connectivity.. my contention is with the appropriateness of the versions.. in scoping some recent articles and a review on tech tv there seems to be overwhelming proof that 802.11b may be more secure than others but is neither as fast or as reliable as some of the others (always mix up the letters... b stands out becuase it's the most common)... so.. why is it that we're pushing B so much in the introductory stages of wireless networking in Jamaica.. is it simply because it's the cheapest solution? or does it more follow along the lines of the Dell and Pentium epidemic... "the most popular one is always best" (which in both cases are FAR from true?)???