Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GPRS pcmcia card

Exclamation GPRS pcmcia card

Yo i know how the gprs system work for the pcmcia gprs card, but how can i set it up to be used on c&w, cause digicel too expensive. does cwj have a special plan for data? i checked their website but came up with nothing.

Default Re: GPRS pcmcia card

You'll have to of course get a C&W SIM chip and then create a new connection using the GPRS settings for C&W. I don't have them at hand but if you search the forums there here somewhere :icon_wink

As I understand it, the only pre-paid plan that C&W offers with GPRS is the bFree plus and that plans deducts JM$9 per day.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

ok thanks Chris, by the way I've heard rumours that cwj and digicel have found ways to block pc's from using gprs on phones. will this affect my gprs browsing if i just use a normal sim vs. special plan from digicel.

Firstly, using the GPRS PCMCIA card in your notebook to connect wouldn't be considered as "using GPRS on a phone".

Secondly, I would think that any SIM that has been activated to use GPRS should be able to connect. Remember that when you call to enable GPRS they ask you what kind of phone.

Regarding using a phone connected to a PC .. I have my suspicions that they can't block it, but then again I don't know for sure.
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

ok, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Firstly, using the GPRS PCMCIA card in your notebook to connect wouldn't be considered as "using GPRS on a phone".

Secondly, I would think that any SIM that has been activated to use GPRS should be able to connect. Remember that when you call to enable GPRS they ask you what kind of phone.

Regarding using a phone connected to a PC .. I have my suspicions that they can't block it, but then again I don't know for sure.
    Im almost sure now that they can, i mean what would explain the dead PC activity since of lately :icon_sad:

nope i think the reason for the slow transfer speeds with the c and w's gprs as of late is due to the network load they're now carrying. i mean most of digicel customers have moved over and if they haven't yet they just haven't got the money to do so as yet.

Quote Originally Posted by death_knight
    nope i think the reason for the slow transfer speeds with the c and w's gprs as of late is due to the network load they're now carrying. i mean most of digicel customers have moved over and if they haven't yet they just haven't got the money to do so as yet.
    I don't think C&W GPRS being slow have anything to do with what you said. I believe that they intentionally decreased the bandwidth so that peeps would sign up to their other package ($500 per month).
    .:] ^ [:.
    .:] Game IDs: xfire_ropy | BC:BC2_ropy | BC: 2142_ropy29 | BF3_ | steam_ropy09 | LoL_ropy09 | Origin_ropy29 [:.

Quote Originally Posted by Ropy
    I don't think C&W GPRS being slow have anything to do with what you said. I believe that they intentionally decreased the bandwidth so that peeps would sign up to their other package ($500 per month).
    How do i get that package, can it be had on prepaid, because $500 per month still works out good for me.

ok i have the GPRS PC CARD MODEM GC75

it works for digicel bur not for cw not sure y also i need to use the cw being that they have not been charging for there inernet like cw

digicel is really hi but is there any way to bypass the charging also for digicel and how can i get the cw chip to work
    !!psimpsonjr!!
    psimpsonjr@yahoo.com