Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Laptop CDRom Issue

Angry Laptop CDRom Issue

I have a huge problem, any cd I put in the cdrom drive for my laptop doesnt work or the drive isnt reading them. I noticed this yesterday. I went away for the weekend and my brother used it I heard.

Anyways I checked the event log viewer and this is what I saw for the error

Then when I clicked ok to submit data to Microsoft this is the resulting info

But how can I clean the lens if when I put in any cd it spins for 5 seconds and then stops??? And the busy light stays on for the cdrom drive.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

Default Re: Laptop CDRom Issue

Normally I would say that the CD is bad, but you've indicated that you tried several CDs so that leaves me to suspect the drive itself. It is possible that the lens got damaged. This sounds far fetched, but have you tried removing the device from device manager and then adding it back after a re-boot?

BTW - this would normally happen to a hard disk, but a CD drive?
    Team Leader
    TechJamaica.com

same thing I was thinking Chris.

This seems more like one of those errors Windows throws when it's not sure what's happening.. one that can and may mislead. The real problem may be corrupted drivers or something of that sort.

For the heck of it. If its a tray loading mechanism open it and check the surface for dirt etc., then try the uninstall re-install route.
    The sword of the Spirit is a mighty 2-edged blade || Re-arranging my life for Christ!

Did what Chris suggested, still no luck.
    ........After all this talk, at nights we still Click "Start" to "Shutdown" and still own a Digicel phone.

Ok I forgot to post the pic of the event viewer under the system tag.

Is it possible your brother dropped some liquid into the laptop? Are all of the laptops fans working - perhaps there is some overheating in the cdrom drive?
    PC - Ubuntu 15.04 64bit Desktop
    HP Pav G60-236US 3GB RAM Laptop, Ubuntu 15.04 64bit and Win7 Home

"So Daddy, how come you telling me stealing not right when YOU copying DVDs? How come? How Come?"

RIP Ramesh ...

In terms of what u said ramesh, everything is fine.

Found this link after searching around

http://www.eventid.net/display.asp?e...=Cdrom&phase=1

try using a lens cleaner(even though it stops after a few sec.) keep reinserting and see if the progress improves otherwise the cd-rom may be defective.
    you can pull it down and clean it yourself with some cutton and alcohol. if its still under warranty i would not recommend doing so. call tech support and see if its nessesary to turn it in.
    I had a simular problem with my dell and they send someone with a replacement and installed it. (no charge)

how old is your brother? ask him whats up with it and make sure im not lying
    Nickname: Virus
    Education: B.Sc. Computer Information Science, Asc. Mass Communication, MCSD, MCSE and CCNA

Quote Originally Posted by Virus_NCU
    try using a lens cleaner(even though it stops after a few sec.) keep reinserting and see if the progress improves otherwise the cd-rom may be defective.
    you can pull it down and clean it yourself with some cutton and alcohol. if its still under warranty i would not recommend doing so. call tech support and see if its nessesary to turn it in.
    I had a simular problem with my dell and they send someone with a replacement and installed it. (no charge)

how old is your brother? ask him whats up with it and make sure im not lying
    Well I doubt that it is still under warranty, it was bought overseas a good while now. When I put in the cd lens cleaner it spins for 5 seonds and then stops, so i doubt any cleaning can take place, I will have to try the alcohol method when I get back home from work.

My brother is much older than myself, he is a dead case because he will say all he did was play games (solitaire etc)