Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government to auction two licences in telecoms sector

Default Government to auction two licences in telecoms sector

KINGSTON, Jamaica — Government is to auction two licences for use in the 700Megahertz (MHz) band, with a view to attracting new entrants into the telecommunications market this year.

Minister of Science, Technology, Energy and Mining, Phillip Paulwell made the disclosure during the sitting of the House of Representatives on Tuesday March 26.

The licences will be awarded to the highest bidders, once their bids meet or exceed the reserve price, and upon being determined as “fit and proper” by the regulators.
    Read more: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/busin...#ixzz2OietrKBC
    "The best software is the one that fits your needs." - A_A

Virus free since: date unknown
    Anti-virus free since: August 2008

With the saturation of digi, i wonder if a third player will find any ground.But still good marketing can change the course of things
    _ _ _ _________ _ _ _ _______ _ _ _
    *Intelligent people can take hints
    Preferred Phone OS: Android

Quote Originally Posted by nevintech View Post
    With the saturation of digi, i wonder if a third player will find any ground.But still good marketing can change the course of things
    mobile broadband penetration is less than 40%, so it still has room for growth. We not talking about voice services, where Digicel clearly has the place saturated.
    Current: LG Nexus 5 - Digicel
    Retired: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

hmmmm.. would be nice if one of the bigger international mobile players comes in and shakes up the market... as long as they willing to spend the funds they can put some well needed competition in the market

Quote Originally Posted by king_jay16 View Post
    hmmmm.. Would be nice if one of the bigger international mobile players comes in and shakes up the market... As long as they willing to spend the funds they can put some well needed competition in the market
    this +1 .

Digicel has become that hated telecom company Cable and Wireless was back in the day when they introduced themselves to the market. I firmly believe that if a third entity emerges from this so called Government offer considering that anything propose by the Jamaican Government is generally poorly constructed people will take this option for a change in expression of their disgust with the service and policies of Digicel.
    "Every step we can take to secure ourselves from a government that no longer respects our privacy is a patriotic act." .. (whistleblower Edward Snowden)

Internet would be my interest Broadband especially would like to get fast a internet speed exactly what the company state they would provide and not quarter of that. Would also like know that when the electricity goes is my area the internet don't go with after an hour. And all that at a reasonable price i dont think thats too much to ask
    IT'S YOUR GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO REMAIN STUPID
    You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes. Remember, all I'm offering is the truth – nothing more.

I believe Digicel is making more money out of the Jamaican market than any other the operated in. Claro started giving them headache so they made them an offer they couldn't refused. Maybe the government should put clauses in place so that what happened when Claro sell out and leave workers and customers high and dry doesn't happened again.
    Gigabyte GA-A75-UD4H .Crucial Ballistix Sports 8Gig ddr3. Llano A8 3870k Quad Core APU. 22" Acer 1680x1050 LCD monitor + 32'' 1080p LCD HDTV. Sapphire Radeon R9 270X Vapor X video card. Mobile: Galaxy Note 4.

can someone tell me if digicel supports browsing and talk on their 4g mobile? I notice with my bb i can do it but cant with iphone 5 or any other device ... what about video calling ?

Quote Originally Posted by 876 View Post
    can someone tell me if digicel supports browsing and talk on their 4g mobile?
    No, this does NOT work on my SGS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch_Angel View Post
    for use in the 700Megahertz (MHz) band
    I'm lost. What exists in the spectrum. Certainly not GSM 850/900/1800/1900
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Mar 29, 2013 at 04:21 PM. Reason: merged multiple posts
    HTML Code:
    PM or link me                              Smartphone: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 SM-N950F
    CompTIA A+ Certified                       Laptop: Apple MacBook™ Pro
    ITIL v3  Certified                         Tablet: DELL Venue 11 Pro
                 Apple is still the best  thing since sliced bread