Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Database access (speed and efficiency)

Default pay attention to the backend...

Quote Originally Posted by norminator View Post
    whats the best method to use when receiving information from a database? Datasets, DataReader, Datarow etc. Which provides the effecient way to access your database?
    Mint was correct in his explanation of the implementation of Data readers and Data Adapter, and while most of the previous post basically answered your question...those solutions primarily addresses the presentation and or DA[O] tier...efficiency should first exist in your database. A good database design is key for efficiency especially if your primarily benchmark is speedy data retrieval...tables must be properly indexed for one and secondly make use of Stored procedures as much as possible. That coupled with the appropriate use of DA objects should yield the best results.

Just a quick comment on using Stored procedures; I personally never use them. I Know they are powerful and all, and I have heard every reason why you should use them. but I stay away from them like the plague; reason being you are coupling your business logic with your data-storare. Business logic belongs in your application not in the database. by using stored procedures you can limit the type of databases your application supports. another reason is it makes database migration a pain in the @$s later on.
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

Default SPs are invaluable in most scenarios...

Ok...this is a seemingly valid arguement..there are two schools of though here..

There are scenarios where the owner(user/company) of the application is entrenched in a Microsoft Based architecture, cases like these hardly intend to migrate, so an application which makes heavy use of SQL Server and by extension SPs is highly desirable. Now as far as i'm concerned this definitely the way to go..I've developed applications in several languages and on a number of platforms and have seen the first hand benefit of using SPs...

SPs offer so much benefit to application development and deployment...modularization and load balancing/distribution.

will continue the discussion later...have some SPs to look at...
    SP = Sensible Practice

NB.. Even MySQL saw the light....it is imperitive...
    A database can no longer be viewed as just data storage...this is ancient thinking...