Thread: run exe on client machines

keroed1 Guest

Default run exe on client machines

on my intranet site that i am revising for my company i have a section systems that displays the systems that currently developed for my company. the systems that are web based can be launch simply by just pointing the web address but unfortunately not all the softwares used by my company is web based there are still a few desktop systems that were previously developed and i want to be able to run the exe on the client machine.

so in short i want to know is it possible for me to launch an exe on the client's computer

when i do this
    Code:
    System.Diagnostics.Process.Start(@"C:\Program Files\Ministry of Transport and Works - SDI Programs\Mail Monitoring System v.2.1\Mail.exe");
    it only runs it on the server computer

>>Insert something witty here<<

Man, keroed1 it seems as if you work the hardest at your job. Kudus to you.

Anyway, The exe won't run from the server using a relative path. You might have to make it publicly available and using a Uri to access it and this will trigger a download to the client. It is not going to run from the client and work on the server using ASP.

if u make a windows form control in a (.NET)control library, you can reference the control from a web page. theres a special syntax to do it with the <object> tag.
    you will however have to configure .NET code access security on any machine thats supposed to access it, including adding your domain to the trusted sites zone on the client machine.

Code:
    <object id="ControlID"
    classid="http://localhost/Site/TestControl.dll#Namespace.ControlName"
    height="50" width="100" VIEWASTEXT>
    </object>
    i have done it before. what we did was just convert the output type of the application project to dll, add a custom control that has a button to start the main form, recompile, and voila... a zero deployment solution.

at least that what microsoft says, but it never really reach deployment... because configuring the .NET security ended up being no simpler than installing the app on the client machine.

the advantage with your case is that you are on a domain, and your admin can deploy the security policy, and add the domain to the trusted sites form his admin console to all machines
    Last edited by icymint3; Oct 19, 2007 at 06:21 PM.
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

keroed1 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redbwoy View Post
    Man, keroed1 it seems as if you work the hardest at your job. Kudus to you.
    bouy its a small software development team and we believe quality not quantity so always have a lot of work to do and i believe i should always output quality, so thanks

Quote Originally Posted by icymint3 View Post
    if u make a windows form control in a (.NET)control library, you can reference the control from a web page. theres a special syntax to do it with the <object> tag.
    you will however have to configure .NET code access security on any machine thats supposed to access it, including adding your domain to the trusted sites zone on the client machine.

Code:
    <object id="ControlID"
    classid="http://localhost/Site/TestControl.dll#Namespace.ControlName"
    height="50" width="100" VIEWASTEXT>
    </object>
    i have done it before. what we did was just convert the output type of the application project to dll, add a custom control that has a button to start the main form, recompile, and voila... a zero deployment solution.

at least that what microsoft says, but it never really reach deployment... because configuring the .NET security ended up being no simpler than installing the app on the client machine.

the advantage with your case is that you are on a domain, and your admin can deploy the security policy, and add the domain to the trusted sites form his admin console to all machines
    thanks icymint3 going check this out