Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: portable hard drive not working with my computer

Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    i tried the 2 USB ports that i have on the front of my computer
    Only those two ports?
    i put on my mp3 player and it tried to install it then says it could not install the mp3 player
    Cause I suspect some wire may be loose in that part of the case. This can can things to detect improperly. Try plugging in the usb device and restart machine with the thumb drive and do not shake it at all.

If you have another thumb drive or a usb mouse try it on the front as well
    Let's act on what we agree on now, and argue later on what we don't.
    Black men leave Barbeque alone if Barbeque don't trouble you

Seems the usb controller is shot.
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2

no crosswire i took your advice and try a port in the back of the computer and am getting the same result,when it asked if i want windows to install the hard drive which is recomended i decided to choose the option of installing from a specific area and i installed it through my asrock motherboard cd and the installation was fine and it told me that my hardware was ready to be used, but nothing was happening so i went into my computer to see if it was there and it wasnt, i looked for that little icon at the bottom of the screen close to the clock that gives you the option to safely remove device and that was gone aswell,anymore suggestions anyone.

KKnight can the usb controller be not good and work with some device and dont work with others, i want to know all these things before i go out and by replacing parts and then find out that the devise was ok it was something else that was causing the problem.

oh am at work so i will try any suggestions given when i go home later
    Last edited by bas; Oct 3, 2007 at 03:56 PM.

i left the hard drive plugged into a usb port at the back of the computer yesterday and when i got home my girl told me that when she turned on the computer it freezes while booting up so she was trying to remove the hard drive and the computer went a step further in the booting up process and freezes again so she tried to remove the hard drive again and the computer went ahead and finish the booting process.a few minutes ago i plug the hard drive into the front usb slot turn on the computer and it freezes while booting so i tried to plug out the drive and the computer went ahead and finish booting up.
    what do you guys think is the problem now?

Has this drive ever worked on your PC?

yes it worked perfectly before the comp crash

We already agree - If the enclosure+drive+cable works perfectly on another Windows XP machine then obviously it is your machine.

Its either a software or hardware problem of you machine.

(The boot freeze is not anything to worry about, sometimes bioses [its sotware rather] are incompatible with the data on usb hard drives.)

We need to test the hardware so as to eliminate the possiblity that it is a hardware problem. Then we can recomend something like doing a xp repair.
    There is a live boot cd bart pe something. I will try to get it and send you the to download if you have high speed internet. If you have high speed you can burn the cd and it should run a clean os environment that should detect the hard drive properly (remember to always use the external power)

BTW, did you test the usb ports with a flash drive or some other storage device (other than the mp3 player)?.

Some other questions: How was the drive formatted and partioned - which software+os? What was the nature of the crash and how was it resolved (Did you reinstalled)?

Tip: Booting with the drive plugged in: Immediately after BIOS post, press F8 to enter Safe Mode but do not enter safe mode, instead plug in the usb hard drive at that time, then boot normally.

the only other thing i have that i used to test the ports is another mp3 player but this plugs directly into the port instead of using a cord[is that what you meant by flash drive] and it worked ok.
    am not sure what you are talking about when you say formatted and partioned and if you are talking about drive in the comp or the portable,the comp has xp service pack 2 and portable has that too i think[a friend told me that], the portable has a button for internal or external [it is on external].
    am not sure about the nature of the crash i just came home turn on the comp and it says machine had problem so i may choose to start windows normally or in safe mode[and you know the other options]every option i choose the comp just re-starts itself and we are back to the same options screen, the technition said all he did was formatt the comp and install the necessary stuffs and wanted $5000.00 i told him to keep the comp and when i have the money i would come get it but him say no i should come get it so i did.
    i did the F8 thing that you said and nothing happen, it did not even make the usuall sound when you plug in the usb so after a while of waiting i plug it out and in and it made the 2 sounds and that was it.
    whenever you find that link just send it on i have the 256 package from C&W its not much but am known to be a patient man so time wont be a problem.
    Last edited by bas; Oct 6, 2007 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by deakie View Post
    Thanks Deakie. That's a terrific CD. I'll downld it later for personal use.

@bas
    I was going to say that I had problems uploading the cd image, and was going to go for a temporary usb boot image instead.

Also, I am now think that it is likely a software problem. I would like to verify that so you could try the mini pe cd. Also it won't hurt to also try the usb boot.

What is needed for the temporary a usb boot
    Please provide:
    Optional - the basic specs of your machine, ram size, speed, etc.
    Optional - the manufaturer of your machine if dell, acer, etc
    Optinal - the motherboard model number and brand (This can be obtained at bios post. It is in the long number at the bottom of the screen below the detecting of the hard drives section. Since that model number flashes quickly, you would have to slow it down by entering the bios setup and select no 'fast boot' or do 'memory test')
    Necessary - run an app that can give info about the devices in you machine and post it back to me (I will upload the app later)