Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: portable hard drive not working with my computer

when i got back my computer i noticed that the red and green light on the bottom of the computer were not comming on so i called the technitian and he said that my machine got hit probably by low voltage or overload and that is why it crashed so probably the power supply got damaged and that is probably why the lights are not comming on. if my memory serves me right i think they were working before i gave it to him and the machine is now not picking up one of the memory stick

no crosswire am using XP[on the desk top it says LAST XP]
    Last XP? What's that supposed to mean?

The power led and hard drive led are possibly connected to the wrong header. Did the tech try to resolve the problem by double checking the connectors or were you just told its low voltage?

to check ur version OS right click my computer and select properties. on the general tab at the top it will tell u the OS and service pack number if installed.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

heading home shortly so i will let you all know what is happening

Yung_Jah Guest

Seems like your computer soon come to an end....

Prepare to have cash ready to spend for new parts. Lets hope whatever suggestion we provide will help to prevent you from spending any cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldayne View Post
    Try removing the usb controllers via device manager and have the os reinstall after a reboot.
    aldayne i right clicked on my computer went into device manager but i dont see anything in there about USB controllers. could it be one of these options
    IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    primary IDE channel
    secondary IDE channel
    VIA bus master IDE controller -0571

Ports(COM and LPT)
    communication port(COM1)
    ECP printer port(LPT1)

universal serial bus controllers which has
    4 USB root hubs
    3VIA rev 5 or later USB universal host controller
    VIA USB Enhanced host controller

Quote Originally Posted by bas View Post
    universal serial bus controllers which has
    4 USB root hubs
    3VIA rev 5 or later USB universal host controller
    VIA USB Enhanced host controller
    this is the usb controller. the controller is installed but for some reason its dropping the device.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

so should i uninstall all of them by right clicking and then restart the computer, will xp install them back or will i need to put in the mother board cd [ASROCK motherboard]

The OS will reinstall the usb drivers automatically after reboot.

i uninstall them and restart the computer it took about a minute after notifying that it located new hardware to start the installation process, after it finished installing the usb drivers i plug in the portable hard drive and it picked it up very quickly and prompt me to install which i proceeded to do but it just stuck there searching and searching and searching and nothing else it did not even told me that it couldnt install like it did the other time so i just left it there to keep on searching.the computer is saying that it is windows xp and service pack 2 is installed so am guessing that it should have the necessary driver/s needed to run the portable hard drive.

oh the power led and hard drive led are now working and i didnt do anything to them

am getting a message that says USB TO IDE then it switches to usb mass storage device, it does that about 4 times then it prompts me to install.am just trying to give you guys as much information as possible to help you help me.
    Last edited by bas; Oct 3, 2007 at 12:22 AM.