Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LINUX NEWBIE HERE

Default Re:LINUX NEWBIE HERE

Greatis - I'm sure many of the other linux gurus are being irked to tears at the very presence of this thread, seeing that many of the things they learned in Linux were learned through extensive reading and a great deal of trial and error. They will prolly expect you to do the same. That's how I learned to do what I know how to do - through extensive reading and massive amounts of experimentation.

However, I also know that the biggest mistake a linux guru can make with respect to increasing awareness of openware to newbies is to either ignore calls for help or just ignore or scoff at requests, hence this response. This is why I going to give you the best piece of advice you will ever need with respect to Linux. It is two pronged:

1. Think different. Linux is not Windows, so don't expect to do certain things in Linux the same way you do it in Windows. Outside of the desktop environ, the underbelly of Linux is a VERY different ballgame. Sometimes this will float to the very top of the desktop environ. Even names and protocols will be different. ALWAYS keep this in mind.

2. Read, read, read, read. If you want to become more than just "comfortable" with using linux, even with a fancy interface, you must be prepared to read your eyes out. Failing which, there's always TechJamaica. ;D However, personally? I never usually ask for help when I know people are just going to point me to a website. Because that just defeats the purpose of asking for help in the first place. U zimi? ;D

But let me offer you some real assistance, as I don't want to you go off reading aimlessly for a single clue, eventually becoming discouraged and frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatis
    Xeno Just a correction it's Thin Keramik. You added a c.
    - I stand corrected. ;D Thanks.

Absolute N00B's guide to start using Linux

There are primarily 4 types of files in Linux:

*.rpm - A RPM is a packaged file. It can contain anything from programs, to configuration settings to images. RPMs are installed either using the package manager from your YaST control manager, or from your commandline. I prefer to use the commandline. When you get comfortable with Linux, you will want to do EVERYTHING from the commandline. Trust me.

To install an rpm file, open up a Konsole window and type the following:

Code:
    cd [directory where rpm file is located]
    rpm -ivh filename.rpm
    If there are no dependency issues (you will get an error if there are any), the file's contents will be installed, and you will be treated to a nice console based progressbar as each file's contents are installed.

If however, you are updating an already installed software package from rpms (as you will if you update your KDE) you need to do the following:

Code:
    rpm -Uvh filename.rpm
    NOTE: RPM files are distro specific! Do NOT download a RedHat RPM for SuSE! Also ensure that the rpm you download is for the right version of your distro! Do not download a SuSE 9.0 rpm for SuSE 9.1!! You will run into serious problems! When you become versed like Gillion or Igodit, you will realise that Debian has it's own version of RPM files with the *.DPM extension - further alluding to the distro specific nature of RPMs. They are binary files compiled for a specific folder structure under the distro for which they were made.

*.bz2 - These are files compressed using the BZip 2.x compression algorithm. They are just like ZIP files, only difference being is that BZip is a far more powerful compression algorithm than ZIP, which was developed expressly for usage under Unix. You can open BZip files in a Konqueror window, just like opening a folder. However, again, I recommend you use the commandline. To extract the contents of a BZ2 file, open a Konsole window and type the following:

Code:
    cd [folder where BZ2 file is located]
    tar -jxvf filename.bz2
    It will create a folder with the name of the BZ2 file and extract the file's contents there.

*.tar.gz - Similar to *.bz2, just a different compression algorithm. These files are compressed using the patented GZip™ algorithm also developed for the Unix operating system. (You must remember that Linux is a user-friendly port of Unix) To extract GZip files, open up a Konsole window and type the following:

Code:
    cd [folder where gzip file is located]
    tar -zxvf filename.tar.gz
    Last edited by Xenocrates; Aug 11, 2004 at 04:00 PM.

N00B's Guide (Cont'd)

Note that wildcards also work well with the tar command. So if you want to extract many RPM, GZip & BZ2 files, you can also do:

Code:
    rpm -Uvh filename*.rpm
    rpm -ivh filename*.rpm
    tar -jxvf filename*.bz2
    tar -zxvf filename*.tar.gz
    Normally when you extract files from non binary files (meaning, files other than RPMs), you have to compile them. To compile sourcecode extracted from GZip or BZip files, normally, you do the following:

Code:
    cd [folder where files were extracted]
    make
    make install
    The make command establishes binary relations between the libraries used in the files you just extracted. This is almost the same thing as creating the necessary DLL and EXE files from source code.

The make install command places these "dll" and "exe" files in their respective places (same thing as installing a program) along with all the files you just extracted, in the folders they are to be placed. When a program is packaged into an RPM, all of this is automatically done when you do a:

Code:
    rpm -ivh (or -Uvh) filename.rpm
    NOTE: Linux does not use EXE or DLL files. I merely mentioned them above to give you a sense of what I'm talking about.

The last type of file in Linux is the BINARY EXECUTABLE file. Binary executables don't have an EXE extension - in fact, they oftentimes don't have an extension at all! Also, you almost always cannot run binary executable files using a double-click as you would in Windows. To run a binary executable file:

Code:
    cd [directory where file is located]
    ./filename
    The "./" is a Unix operator that loads the file into memory as an executable file. In contrast, in DOS, you can only run files that have an *.exe extension. The memory loading is done automatically in a Windows/DOS environment. Again, this is one of the reasons why I say to you that when working with Linux you have to think differently.

Sometimes when you download a file, you may be required to make the file loadable as an executable. To do this, you need to do the following:

Code:
    su
    chmod +x filename
    The "su" is a Linux command that emulates Super User access rights. You only need to type su if you are not logged into your system as "root".

You can tell which files in your directory are binary executable by listing the directory contents. The most convenient way to list directory contents is by typing the following in your Konsole window:

Code:
    ls -lAXC
    This lists all the files in your current directory and sorts them into neat columns, grouping together all directories in the leftmost columns. Files are colour coded as to their functions:

Navy Blue/Purple - Directories
    Green - Binary executables
    Red - Compressed files/packages eg. BZip, GZip or RPM files.[/td][/tr]
    White - All other files

There are many more things that you will need to learn about the commands that you use on the commandline. Use:

Code:
    man commandname
    ...to see a detailed manual on each console command that you need to use. That's where your reading will begin, and that's how you will eventually begin to build yourself up to become a Linux guru, step by step. You may also optionally use:

Code:
    commandname --help
    or

Code:
    apropos commandname
    to give you respectively shorter versions of the same information provided by the man command. Only use the last two commands I mentioned here when you have already made yourself familiar with the detail provided by the man command, or you will be lost.

Well, I'm going to end it here. I think I've armed you with enough information as a newbie to hit the ground running. Remember to do lots of reading and lots of experimentation. And always, ALWAYS remember:

Enjoy your learning experience, and think different.

That's the best part about using Linux.
    Last edited by Xenocrates; Aug 11, 2004 at 03:58 PM.

2. Read, read, read, read. If you want to become more than just "comfortable" with using linux, even with a fancy interface, you must be prepared to read your eyes out.
    I have to agree with this completly!!!
    Scour alot of the other Linux forums there is a fountain of information there.

God Speed 8)

Xenocrates I did some reading but for some reason the sites I chose were damn complicated.

The Jalug sites been down for a while so no help from there.

So I then I came to TechJa. And bwoy I sure got help hehe. This is the best site for info yet

Thanx Peeps...

Xeno I owe you two beers now
    Last edited by Greatis; Aug 7, 2004 at 11:15 PM.
    Confucious says "he who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him"

like driving a car...

you have choices...

learn only automatic and be inflexible...

or learn standard and be flexible....

choice choice choices...

--gillion

Default Suse 9.1 with infrared devices

I would like to know if anyone have gotten their infrared devices for example a phone to work in suse. If so how did you get it to work?

Ok so maybe I am stupid but anywayz still need the help.

After going into the Suse 9.1 folder on the ftp site these are the folder options I receive. k.

ix86/
    noarch/
    src/
    x86_64/

Now I am not sure which one to download from. From reading I have gathered this much. Correct me if I am wrong.

ix86/ - This is the folder I should download from as the ix86 signifies the type of processor i am using. Something to that effect.

noarch/ - Still not sure what this is

src/ - Figure that this is source code and needs to compiled so will leave this alone.

x86_64/ - Ok this is for the person with the 64 bit processor that's using the 64 bit version of Suse 9.1.

Am I correct peeps?
    Last edited by Greatis; Aug 7, 2004 at 11:15 PM.
    Confucious says "he who knows not and knows that he knows not, is a child, teach him"

Am I correct peeps?
    Yup.