Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LINUX NEWBIE HERE

Default LINUX NEWBIE HERE

Ok here is my problem. I have a Silicon Integrated Intel 537 [56k Winmodem]. Windows Xp with Sp1a detects it but no drivers are available for it. Ok so I installed Suse 9.1 (Sweet) it detected the modem and told me the Name above. Now it still does not connect. >

Ok now my other questions. I noticed that Xeno has his system performance on his desktop. How do you get that? How do I get transparency like Xeno?

More questions to come

Default Re:LINUX NEWBIE HERE

Even though it detects your modem that does not mean it has the drivers available still, then again it might, i had to download 56k drivers from an outside source (when i remember the name i will send you a link)

As to xeno's desktop he uses a seperate application... its somewhat like a style xp that you can use in linux, it is also available for windows, i remember there was a discussion about it in the general discussions thread post your desktop. I cant remember the name of that either (i need some brain food)

Right the programs used are Samurize in combination with Object Dock

i dont think he used samurize with Suse. i think the program he used is karamba. right Xeno?

I'm not sure myself but it looks like he used Super Karamba with maybe Slickbar and some other themes. The one screenshot i saw i didn't see his system performance there but if it was Superkarmaba that he used the system performance themse would be Cynapses.
    To get the transparency Xeno got there is a setting, I don't rember off-hand, that u can set the transperency level of 'The Bar' (psss don't know the corect name :-) )
    I know u were able to set it in KDE 3.2.
    I don't use KDE much anymore.. strictly Fluxbox ;D .

But then again Xeno can confirm all of this.

PS. I prefer to use Gkrellm2 for system performance. :P

all these programs are they easy to install? I don't have to compile nutten right? Cause I don't know one crap bout compiling. :-\ I got Super Karamba and some other stuff looking for some desktop pics now.

Re the modem. I Just going to buy a new modem can't bother i give up.

Well...
    I f u have the latest Superkaramba i think it is 0.33. u shoud be okay. But with some of the themes u are going to have compile some of the required files. But don't make compiling stop u.. it might seem a daunting task at first but it gets easier every try. ;D

don't even know what to do to compile :-[

Greatis,

First off - I recommend that you download the KDE 3.2.3 update for your SuSE Linux desktop. It allows you to run some of the more sophisticated themes for KDE that are out now. You can still run the majority of the themes out there now, it's just that many of them now require that you have KDE 3.2.3 already installed. I will be uploading a meticulous guide to installing and KDE 3.2.3 tomorrow. So by the time you're done downloading those files from www.kde.org, the guide should be up here.

Secondly - Head over to www.kde-look.org, locate, and download the following:

Desktop Themes
    • Baghira SuSE 9.0/9.1 RPM - This is a desktop theme for KDE, much like a theme applied by StyleXP. The beauty with KDE is that it has all of the functions of StyleXP already built into the operating system distribution. So it's not a separate program. This theme gives your Linux desktop a distinctively MacOS X texture. Very gorgeous - lemme tell you. This theme enables the menu transparency that you saw in my desktop shot.
    • Thin Keramik 3.2.1 - Another theme for KDE. Essentially another flavour of the default KDE theme. This is the theme we use for machines @ work. It's very 3D-esque, and quite pretty - but not too glossy or hyped up, maintaining a very clean, clear, modern, professional look. I strongly recommend it.
    • Aqua & Aqua-Graphite - These are window decorations for KDE. This has got what has to be the most polished and pristine set of widgets I have ever seen on any desktop. Period. Not quite as configurable as Baghira tho' - but very pretty to look at. Makes you want to sit in your Linux desktop all day. ;D

Desktop Enhancements via SuperKaramba
    • Superkaramba 0.34 - This is pretty much a Samurize for Linux KDE. I am only certain this runs under KDE. So if you are using another desktop environ like Gnome or Windowmaker (shame on you!), I cannot guarantee if it will run. Mebbe someone who is running one of these environs can confirm this for me.
    • Cynapses Karamba - The single most popular monitoring tool for the KDE desktop. This is the tool to get. 'nuff sed. Note: You may need to edit out the last two modules in this theme to accommodate addional modules below it.
    • Liquid Weather ++ 3.1.1 - A very sophisticated weather monitoring tool that shows the current weather and forecast for the next 4 days. Once loaded, right-click on the module and enter "Parish capital, Jamaica" to get the weather readings for your are. So kingston / St. Andrew people would type in "Kingston, Jamaica" and people in mobay would type in "Montego Bay, Jamaica".
    • TDE - T Desktop Enhancements - A comprehensive tool with 8 modules that loads onto your desktop simultaneaously. However, I wouldn't recommend using this module with any other, unless you only load one or two modules at a time. I recommend that you load only the "tcal.theme" module to get the spiffy little calendar you see me running.
    • SKroller or Kroller - A neat mockup of the MacOS X toolbar. There are many MacOS X toolbar attempts for SuperKaramba. So you may need to explore them all and see which one you like the most.

Xeno Just a correction it's Thin Keramik. You added a c.