Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIFI on Laptop Problem!!!!!!!

Default Re:WIFI on Laptop Problem!!!!!!!

Ahmmm, hol up guys. Let me explain this better. The laptop has a little swich to the side near the floppy that has the wifi sign and the led indicator for when it is switched on.

When I click the switch to on, I dont c the led come up or anything. I am lost, I guess I need to research this whole wifi thing completely.

[quote author=Chris link=board=26;threadid=5303;start=0#msg49536 date=1091414052]
    Mitchie, the base station (wireless access point) is the device that allows the WiFi devices to connect to the wired network. Simply put, the WAP is the device that allows your WiFi enabled notebook to connect to your network.

So let's take this a step at a time. Do you have a WAP and is it 802.11b compatible?
    [/quote]

I dont have a wap, I just need to know if this feature is working on the laptop first. I watched a video on thebroken.org where they explained wardriving and blah blah blah, I just want to to get the tools together, and the wifi on the laptop is the first step.

guys.. lemme help

1 - laptop didn't come with base station
    2 - Mitchie don't even REACH trying to connect.. he's lost at getting on "ON" signal from the wireless device in the laptop.

Mitchie.. I'd have to tell you to check the device manager and the user guide to make sure that as you say the laptop is wi-fi READY versus wi-fi CAPABLE. A common tactic now employed by manus is to bill the machine as wi-fi READY -which simply means there's an antennae built in but you need a card to be wi-fi capable!

Hope this is not the case... but I've checked the Toshiba site and it seems you should have everything..so check the device manager to see if the machine is even seeing the card and then let us know from there..

I'm afraid that GodKid may be correct on this. Having just looked through the user guide for the model, it appears that the notebook requires an optional Wi-Fi Mini PCI module which would be installed in the Wi-Fi Mini PCI section of the underside. The switch would then be used to turn the antenna on/off once the module is installed.

Mitchie, I copied this from the Toshiba website and should help you in determining whether you have it installed or not ...
    This card is installed during manufacturing in some Toshiba notebook computers. The best way to determine whether or not a given Toshiba computer already has a Mini PCI Wi-Fi card installed is to look for it in Device Manager's listing (Start > Settings > Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Network Adapters). If the card is present, there should be a corresponding entry labeled "Toshiba Wireless LAN Mini PCI Card" or some wording very similar to that.

Two indicators that a Toshiba notebook computer may have a Mini PCI Wi-Fi card installed are:

1. A Wi-Fi switch (with an antenna icon) on the computer's case.
    2. A "Wi-Fi The standard for wireless fidelity" sticker on the bottom surface of the computer's case.

Yeah Chris, Godkid and myself were just reading that same documentation. Now I wish I had purchased this myself. I will check the device manager although I doubt it will be there. I know for a fact that the sticker isnt there unless it was removed. This is a silly setup though. >

Thanx for the info though.

If your notebook doesn't have the optional card, I'll bet that it would be cheaper for you to buy a regular WiFi PC card than the Toshiba Wi-Fi Mini PCI module.