Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Not worth your time and effort

Default Re:Linux Not worth your time and effort

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=15#msg48364 date=1090616066]
    Im sure it wont. actually i just thought my Dad how to use windows 2000 with officeXP. It was quite easy. And this is the first time he ever toched a computer. Thank God for Microsoft.
    [/quote]

OK, did you teach him how to install and dial-up on his modem? Did you teach him how to use (God forbid) Internet Explorer? How to send emails? How to use Internet Messengers? Or will he have to find that out on his own?

You must have one smart Dad. ;D

duster, you need to read your posts before clicking on the posts button.

linux is not going to die anytime soon. i think microsoft is helping them to win the fight, with the way microsoft os are acting up.

more and more people are finding alternatives to microsoft and more and more people are discovering linux.

Learning Linux is not a waste of time,because it has uses in firewalls,routers etc.Linux is cheaper in my opinion to integrate into an IT infrastructure when compared to most third party solutions.NO admin can tell me that a Linux box is easier to adminisiter than a win2k box non!.The learning curve for Linux is a little steep at the beginning, especially if you are not familiar with Unix-like operating systems and you are responsible for installation and upkeep of the system,how do i know i tried deploying suse 8 in a office to secretaries.

And by the way i am not biased towards cellphone companies,Video game console companies or Operating Systems.Use the tool that suits you best,linux is nota good choice for non-technical users,ask a secretary to manipulate a config file. UNIX/Linux administrators are plentiful and generally more technically capable than their NT counterparts (most UNIX administrators have some coding/scripting skills seldom found among the new generation of "NT admins&quot. Why spend almost $5,000 for MS Exchange Server (this price only covers 50 client accesses), which in some companies, seems to only be able to handle the e-mail of a few hundred employees when you can use the built-in "Sendmail" mail server software that ships with Linux, a tried and proven application capable of supporting the e-mail demands of thousands of employees?

I wonder from which rock this gentleman has suddenly materialised with these ridiculous claims... Time to school the newbie. BCK & Roda, hol' me back....

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48320 date=1090604968]
    Just wanted to let everyone know not to waist there time trying to learn linux.[/quote]

- My dear friend. Welcome to TechJamaica. You have just opened up a can of worms. Let the schooling begin:

First off, you are not qualified to make such an assertion. Not only have you failed to quantitatively substantiate your conclusions, but you are flying off a baseless opinion which you have derived based on the outward appearance of a system. You are the type of end user that every programmer fears the most. Ergo, lest I make the same mistake as you have, I will further quantify the following comment:

Linux is the fastest growing alternative choice of operating system in the market today. Market officials say they haven't seen such a massive flux in the rate of adoption of an operating system since Microsoft first stormed the market in 1981 with MS-DOS.

1981!!!!! ....that's over 20 years ago!!!

With that said, it renders your original post moot. I will now tell you how and why:

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48320 date=1090604968]That operating system is going nowhere.[/quote]

- En contrar mon ami, Linux based operating systems have sold 19 copies for every 1 copy of Microsoft's operating system since January 2004. The trend is holding steadily, particularly in Europe, where SuSE Linux has replaced Microsoft's Windows based operating systems on both the desktop and the server, for an estimated 30 million computers!

Duster, can you count to 30 million?

Entire Goverments in Europe have MASS MIGRATED to Linux. We're talking about Hundreds of Thousands of PCs!!!

Don't take my word for it. Go read it yourself in Businessweek, October 2003 (if you can find a copy). So what did you say about Linux not going anywhere? Hmmm.... :

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48320 date=1090604968]I have been doing computer support for 8 years now and found out that most users dont even know how to right click on my computer icon.[/quote]

- Duster, I had mentioned before that you are the kind of end user that EVERY programmer fears the most. It's statements like this that will piss off any programmer to tears. You are suffering from what is known as Tunnel Vision.

What is Tunnel Vision you say?

Let's say that I met one girl and she is pretty. Let's say that girl is also very obnoxious. Let's say I meet several other girls that are both pretty and obnoxious. With Tunnel Vision, I come to the conclusion that:

All pretty girls are obnoxious.

...which is a fallacious argument, since I have not included pretty girls outside of my immediate demographic demarcation. For if I introduced you to ONE pretty girl who is sweet, that would make 1 counterpositive, which automatically makes the lemma irrelevant and incorrect. You follow?

Suppose I show you a Linux that we are testing here in my company. We exclusively use SuSE Linux because it is by far the most complete, the most userfriendly and the single most comprehensive alternative desktop replacement on the market right now. It's going for roughly $80 on the market (if you acquire it with technical support) and my people are seriously considering to buy themselves some licences for the wider organisation as soon as testing is complete.

Have you ever seen SuSE Linux lately Duster? If you have, you will realise two things:

1. Not all pretty girls are obnoxious...
    2. ...therefore, not all Linux flavours are exclusively for techies.

...which, ergo means that your original argument is automatically moot. Hold on, I'm not done with you yet.

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48320 date=1090604968]Image these same people trying to do an update on linux or install even installing a scanner.[/quote]

- Again, have you seen SuSE 9.1?

My scanner was detected AUTOMATICALLY.
    My digital camera was detected AUTOMATICALLY.
    My Video card was detected AUTOMATICALLY.
    My KEY DRIVE was detected AUTOMATICALLY.

...In fact, I don't recall having driver issues with SuSE Linux 9.1. Do you know what we're doing in my office right now? We're trying to find a piece of hardware that doesn't work with SuSE Linux 9.1. We're still trying...hopefully, we'll get lucky...

What were you saying about scanners again? ???

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48320 date=1090604968]Linux is not for the average person its main use is on servers for DHCP/DNS so if you are not learning the server edition you are wasting precious time.[/quote]

- Some people in our HR department tested SuSE 9.1 and they don't kow that it's not Windows XP. They still think it's a "skin" we applied to Windows XP. These are people who work with Microsoft Word and Excel day in and Day out. In fact, you know what we did? We replaced the Open Office icons with those from Microsoft Office. To this day, they still don't know any better. They're back using Windows at the moment, but.... they had NO idea we switched it on them - ALL NOW...

What was it that you were saying about Linux not being for the average user again?

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48320 date=1090604968]Im not a big microsoft fan but aleast they are user-friendly! Linux users let me know what you think!
    [/quote]

- One of the people I have a high level of respect for on this board is Jamrock. I will tell you why.

When I first came to TechJamaica, everyone in the Linux forum was HYPING up linux like it was the SHIZZIT!! Jamrock on the other hand says "...well....nooot quite...BUT..." and he always uses the same line of argument when other hype up Linux beyond reasonable limits - and Jamrock is a hardcore Linux user. The reason why I LOVE reading Jamrock's stuff is because:

1. It's OBJECTIVE
    2. It's UNOPINIONATED
    3. It's RATIONAL
    4. It's SUBSTANTIATED (with hard facts)
    5. It's THE RAW UNSATURATED TRUTH

Jamrock is a dude who will tell you AS IT IS. He adds NOTHING to his findings and takes NOTHING from it. That's why before I run off at the mouth, I usually wait to see what Jamrock says first....

...you on the other hand are doing the same thing that the other guys were doing before - giving HIGHLY opinionated and UNSUBSTANTIATED claims on a fact that is not even a fact! Show me the numbers! (Too late, you can't - 3 business magazines can't be wrong).

Again I will say:

Linux is the FASTEST growing alternative desktop replacement there is today.

Did I mention to you something earlier about 30 million machines?

30 MILLION MACHINES IN EUROPE!!!

HELLOO?!?! *knock knock on cranium*

So much for Linux not going anywhere.... :

aaahhhhh, xeno has awakened. i was wondering what happened to him.

Linux based operating systems have sold 19 copies for every 1 copy of Microsoft's operating system since January 2004. Verify that statement.