Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Linux Not worth your time and effort

Default Re:Linux Not worth your time and effort

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48332 date=1090606979]
    I tried them all. BDS,REDHAT,SUSE,MADRAKE they are all the same.
    [/quote]
    And what was the nature of your trials Dear Sir.... :

Windows is user friendly? Only to a person wh has been using it for a while! I have seen many new Wintel computer users who do not evn know what is meant by "Open MY COMPUTER".

It has been said that it takes the same amount of time to learn any operating system, Windows, Linux, MAC as long as the persons you are asking for advice use the same OS.

Leo Laporte, when asked which OS they should buy, replied in the same way and I doubt he was wrong about that.

yeah I better stop using it right away.
    Man and I thought it was going to be so great

Now I just need to figure out if I should pay a Microsoft license for all 5 of the computers in the office.

How much would that cost? I'm paying 0$ now for Linux.

this is getting good! ;D

We need a comment form Xeno!!!

Most of us on this site are techies so its not so bad. TRY TEACHING YOUR GRANDMA TO USE LINUX> LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT!!!!! ;D

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But I don't think duster is qualified to determine that Linux is a waste of time for everyone. There are different solutions for different needs. Cost happens to be a very important need. I'm sure there are scenarios in which companies can deploy Linux on the desktop right now and reap significant benefits. One such case could be to use Linux machines as terminal server clients with restricted shells. Let users log on, and run only the apps they need. I'm sure there are other scenarios.

In any case, desktop isn't the only area benefits can be reaped. And I don't think Linux has to take over the desktop to be considered a success anyway. It's serving it's purpose quite well now. And it has one thing going for it that M$ doesn't...it's FREE.

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=0#msg48360 date=1090615044]
    Most of us on this site are techies so its not so bad. TRY TEACHING YOUR GRANDMA TO USE LINUX> LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS OUT!!!!! ;D
    [/quote]

It may take the same amount of time as teaching your Grandma how to use Windows, my friend (and perhaps the same amount of pain trying to explain simple things).

Im sure it wont. actually i just thought my Dad how to use windows 2000 with officeXP. It was quite easy. And this is the first time he ever toched a computer. Thank God for Microsoft.

[quote author=duster link=board=8;threadid=5212;start=15#msg48364 date=1090616066]
    Im sure it wont. actually i just thought my Dad how to use windows 2000 with officeXP. It was quite easy. And this is the first time he ever toched a computer. Thank God for Microsoft.
    [/quote]

Yes..."thinking" people how to use anything is quite easy.

At the very least, working with the command line and config files in Linux re-enforces the value of good spelling habits