Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PDA, GPS maps and Jamaica

Default Re: PDA, GPS maps and Jamaica

Quote Originally Posted by Booma
    sorry, but I don't know the type of system that king alarm has. Did a quick search but still no luck on it, can u post a link plz?
    @Igodit
    isn't gps supposed to be free as long as u have the equipment? who would have to be paid to get working gps in Jamaica? I'd not really be that interested in the 'geographic' type gps that only gives coordinates, but more the type that shows which road ur on, and plots routes to a required destination. I've searched tomtom, navman and garmin, but haven't found any street maps for Ja.
    Do any companies (wouldn't surprise me if innovative (are they still in business?)) in Ja offer gps systems and is any info available on them if any?
    Thanks
    Some of the guys @ the UTECH or the Lands department in the min of Agriculture might be able to at least point you in the right direction. There was an observer article on updated GPS mapping in Jamaica some time ago, will try tio find it.

Thanks for the replies guys (haven't logged in for a bit).

@Griffjon
    I take it ur referring to electonic maps... any ideas what software they're using?

@Bloggins
    thanks for the heads up on the observer article.... I'll get searching on the site and see if I can get any details.

So far, the only maps I've found are for europe and north america (well, just USA and canada). Any other info at all is appreciated. Thanks guys...
    Aint no shame in bein a geek

igodit Guest

King Alarm I believe is using a GPRS band

igodit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Booma
    sorry, but I don't know the type of system that king alarm has. Did a quick search but still no luck on it, can u post a link plz?
    @Igodit
    isn't gps supposed to be free as long as u have the equipment? who would have to be paid to get working gps in Jamaica? I'd not really be that interested in the 'geographic' type gps that only gives coordinates, but more the type that shows which road ur on, and plots routes to a required destination. I've searched tomtom, navman and garmin, but haven't found any street maps for Ja.
    Do any companies (wouldn't surprise me if innovative (are they still in business?)) in Ja offer gps systems and is any info available on them if any?
    Thanks
    You can use handheld GPS systems to plot coordinates, they use it for private yatchs, air navigation and other activities out here in Jamaica. I don't think there is a fee attached aside from the purchase of the device.

The reason you would be able to get GPS here is that the satellites also shadow the caribbean.

I found the observer article concerning gps HERE. Unfortunately, it makes no mention as to who is providing the map data, software etc. I've done more trawling and as it is, my receiver will show me that I'm in Jamaica, but I need to try and get a map to translate the co-ordinates to actual roads. I'm going to try and contact the Jamaican Caves admin to see if anything can be done. I'm sure that if there's enough interest in it we can get gps maps of jamaica available for use with navigation systems.

@Igodit
    U say that the satellites 'shadow the caribbean', but during my checking, it seems its not a matter of shadowing, but set to work there. its not American or european positioning system, but global.
    Aint no shame in bein a geek

there is a 'pay' GPS. It is known as differential gps (DGPS) and american & canadian pilots have a (kinda) working system called wide area augmentation system (WAAS). I b-leve thar spatial innovision is/has/will soon set up a couple DGPS sites here and have DGPS corrections via gprs. So if you need sub-milimetre accuracy from your gps give 'em a call
    all the labours of the ages, all the devotion, all the inspiration, all the noonday brightness of human genius, are destined to extinction in the vast death of the solar system, and that the whole temple of Man's achievement must inevitably be buried beneath the debris of a universe in ruins - Bertrand Russell

igodit Guest

@ Booma
    Yes, GPS is global for the purpose of navigations by air, sea and land... when I mentioned "shadow" it was not meant as unintentional. We do have air traffic, nautical and travellers that use GPS... wouldn't be a Global Positioning System if it weren't global.