Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PDA, GPS maps and Jamaica

Default PDA, GPS maps and Jamaica

Greetings to all. Been lurking for a few days, but finally joined up.
    I'm in the UK now and thinking about getting a pda/gps sat nav system probably based around a dell axim x30 with built in wifi and bluetooth.
    Question is, while I can get european and US maps for the various navigation software packages, I haven't seen any for Jamaica. Are there known solutions that work for Jamaica which can plot routes, show POIs etc like on the maps for Europe and US? TIA

(hope its in the right forum.... saw a thread about why there isnt a pda category, but I saw some pda related stuff here)

igodit Guest

Default Re:PDA, GPS maps and Jamaica

There are no public access to GPS maps in Jamaica, I'm sure there are other organizations out there with GPS maps of Jamaica for navigational purposes.

Thanks for the quick response Igodit.
    Another question while I'm at it.... those cars in Jamaica that came down with built in sat nav.... do they work?

igodit Guest

They would work in satellite range but I don't think the service is offered out here... well unless you are paying for it. Pretty much like having XM radio and subscribing for it.

What about a system like what king alarm has. The system they showed at ces.

sorry, but I don't know the type of system that king alarm has. Did a quick search but still no luck on it, can u post a link plz?
    @Igodit
    isn't gps supposed to be free as long as u have the equipment? who would have to be paid to get working gps in Jamaica? I'd not really be that interested in the 'geographic' type gps that only gives coordinates, but more the type that shows which road ur on, and plots routes to a required destination. I've searched tomtom, navman and garmin, but haven't found any street maps for Ja.
    Do any companies (wouldn't surprise me if innovative (are they still in business?)) in Ja offer gps systems and is any info available on them if any?
    Thanks

King alarm has a tracking system of their own. They displayed it at ces. The had all the rd in Kgn(not sure of out of town). They showed us a car they were tracking that was on hp rd and when the driver stopped at kfc, etc. U could try to find out who did their system and buy a copy of the map.

not sure if this will help but most GPS nav packages are just the gps hardware and maps... Since gps is available damn near everywhere you havea receiver you only need to supply the map and code your software to translate the coordinates to your map... if your a coder or know some coders you could always throw them that as a project.....

Default Re: PDA, GPS maps and Jamaica

They do not work. The closest we have to this is the security systems for car tracking. Basically what happens is that if your car is stolen they use GSM GPRS and GPS Technology to locate the cae within a 20 metre local and send their guys to go get it. About three companies offer the service

Default Re: PDA, GPS maps and Jamaica

JUTC has good maps of Kingston, but not much for rural JA
    --------
    http://GriffJon.com