Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flow blocks access to CwJamaica's smtp server?

Default Flow blocks access to CwJamaica's smtp server?

... on Flow but can't send email through Cwjamaica's smtp server using my cwjamaica account info ... get an error message saying access denied. Why they blocking it?

In the States, Comcast for e.g. doesn't block your access to other ISPs' smtp ... I've been on Comcast and can send email through Cwjamaica's smtp server no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sandor View Post
    In the States, Comcast for e.g. doesn't block your access to other ISPs' smtp ... I've been on Comcast and can send email through Cwjamaica's smtp server no problem.
    That is Comcast. Bellsouth (now AT&T) blocks you from using any other SMTP server besides their own.

I am not aware that the problem is related to Flow. As far as I know CWJ does not allow access to their SMTP server from another network. This was implemented when they switched their mail server to Communigate; it was to prevent spam relaying. When was the last time you connected to their server from Comcast?

Quote Originally Posted by sandor View Post
    ... on Flow but can't send email through Cwjamaica's smtp server using my cwjamaica account info ... get an error message saying access denied. Why they blocking it?

oh please...
    here we go with the conspiracy theories again...

Read the error message again, I'm sure it said something like :

Quote Originally Posted by Outlook Express Error Message
    The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's e-mail address. The sender's e-mail address was 'xxxxx@cwjamaica.com'. Subject 'test', Account: 'C&W Mail', Server: 'mail.cwjamaica.com', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '554 <xxxx@cwjamaica.com>: Sender address rejected: Access denied', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 554, Error Number: 0x800CCC78
    Notice the highlight. That means when your client connected to the C & W Mail server the C&W Mail server responded with ACCESS DENIED. So the question you should be asking would be why is C&W blocking people from sending mail from the Flow network even when they authenticate. I'm sure we can all figure out why.

What my friend does is set his outgoing mail server for that account to be mail.flowja.com and use his flow credentials for the outgoing to send it out. The mail still sayz its coming from his C&W address it just uses Flow's SMTP to get there.

I think C&W should allow you to send mail as LONG as you authenticate.

Thumbs down

What your friend is doing is the same thing the IETF have been licking out against . That is reason why many people receive mail claiming to come from someone but when you check the headers you see the real deal. Flow will probably implement the same thing to protect themselves against that same behaviour. When the specifications for DomainKeys Identified Mail are completed email should be a safe means of communication again, if everyone implements it that is.

Quote Originally Posted by psilos View Post
    What your friend is doing is the same thing the IETF have been licking out against . That is reason why many people receive mail claiming to come from someone but when you check the headers you see the real deal. Flow will probably implement the same thing to protect themselves against that same behaviour. When the specifications for DomainKeys Identified Mail are completed email should be a safe means of communication again, if everyone implements it that is.
    Hmm, so Psilos is there another way to send the mail out since C&W isn't allowing even authenticated access to their mail server?

and I know Flow has the same thing but as long as you authenticate u can send mail from anywhere.

Yeah http://webmail.cwjamaica.com

or https://webmail.cwjamaica.com for the security minded

By the way even if C&W allowed authenticated SMTP access to their mail server it still would not be secure access as the username and password would be sent out in clear text over the internet. The only secure means would be to require SSL for the SMTP like some email providers. eg. Gmail POP3 access.

Yeah http://webmail.cwjamaica.com

or https://webmail.cwjamaica.com for the security minded

By the way even if C&W allowed authenticated SMTP access to their mail server it still would not be secure access as the username and password would be sent out in clear text over the internet. The only secure means would be to require SSL for the SMTP like some email providers. eg. Gmail POP3 access.
    Lets be realistic here, for people using Outlook and other email clients, going back to Webmail would be archaic and inconvenient...

I agree, using webmail can be inconvenient but seriously do you blame ISPs from blocking access to their mail servers? SPAM has gotten out of hand and it looks like there is no slowing up. They have to protect themselves somehow. Remember someone could easily send mail from any ISP claiming to be RodneyDavis@cwjamaica.com. C&W have even taken the extra step that if you are on their network and attempt to change your email address in your mail client to another one different from the username the mail will not be sent.

I agree, using webmail can be inconvenient but seriously do you blame ISPs from blocking access to their mail servers? SPAM has gotten out of hand and it looks like there is no slowing up. They have to protect themselves somehow. Remember someone could easily send mail from any ISP claiming to be RodneyDavis@cwjamaica.com. C&W have even taken the extra step that if you are on their network and attempt to change your email address in your mail client to another one different from the username the mail will not be sent.
    My companies mail servers does that. If your email address in the from field or the reply-to field does not exist on the mail server it will not be sent.