Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux over Windows? Are you serious?

Default Linux over Windows? Are you serious?

With all the rave on Linux and how it's going to topple the Windows platform, I'd like to hear from you guys. I think it's high time that I try this out for myself and see what all this noise is about.

(I didn't post this in the Linux forum in fear of getting flamed.)

Can alla you good fellas kindly gimme 10 VERY good reasons why I should partition some more of my precious hard drive space to try Linux - or 10 DARN good reasons why I would want Linux over something like WinXP. If you have more than 10 reasons, feel free to add 'em up.

Please, nobody start a war. I just want some hard cold facts from Jamaicans. I've read enough forums and foreign based sites. Give me the smackdown on it, right here, right now, bar none.

Go!

Default Re:Linux over Windows? Are you serious?

With all the rave on Linux and how it's going to topple the Windows platform
    I am not saying that Linux is going to topple Windows. Too many have tried and failed. All I am saying is that Linux will be a player in specific areas, such as servers and some hand held devices. If it achieves this, prices will go down and consumers will benefit.

(I didn't post this in the Linux forum in fear of getting flamed.)
    Chris and others have made it abundantly clear that the forum is to be a place where everyone can freely express their views without being abused.

Can alla you good fellas kindly gimme 10 VERY good reasons why I should partition some more of my precious hard drive space to try Linux
    Don't know if I can find 10. But here are a few.

It is a stable, mature software. Companies typically run Linux servers for years without having to reboot. Some people only reboot as a result of hardware failure. We restart daemons (services) when we make changes. We don't reboot machines.

It costs a lot less. I just loaded it on a machine for a friend on Saturday. She has three machines and needs to get them networked for shared printing and file storage. She can't afford the USD 800.00 for Windows 2000 plus another USD 1500.00 for a low end server. She has been running a small business for two years in a harsh economic climate.

It uses less computer resources. We used the oldest machine as the server. She saved the newer ones for her word processing, graphics etc. We could never have used her old machine to run Windows 2000 Server. None of the components would have been on the HCL ;D

Linux allows you to learn a lot about networking. I am a MCP and have been working with Windows networks for several years. Since I have been involved with Linux, I have come to understand TCP/IP, DNS, SMTP, POP3, SMB, PPP etc.

With Windows I just select an option and click on the next button. With Linux, I have been working at the command line by choice. I have come to understand what happens behind the GUI. I am a better Windows network administrator now.

Finally, we took an old Pentium MMX machine with 64 MB of memory that nobody wanted. We loaded Linux on it and set up a mail server for a client. They have been using the machine as an internal mail server since last year October or so. We have not looked at the machine since October and they use it every single working day. Ask your typical Exchange administrator if he can do that.

I am not anti-Windows. I don't use Linux on the desktop although some of my collegues do. I prefer Windows 2000 Professional. However, I use Linux as my domain controller and as a file server.

Link me if you have any more questions. Check JALUG (jalug.org) if you want to learn Linux.

Peace.

Oh by the way. I learnt Linux on a 486/80 with 32 MB of memory. I still have it running at home. The machine uses one of those batteries that looks like a small Duracell battery. It is so old that it can't hold the CMOS info. anymore. The hard drive is 4 GB.

I use it to experiment with new programmes.

Everytime I start it up, I have to tell it to autodetect the hard drive. The good thing is that I don't have to reboot it. ;D

[quote author=jamrock link=board=5;threadid=505;start=0#msg3681 date=1047341065]...Chris and others have made it abundantly clear that the forum is to be a place where everyone can freely express their views without being abused...[/quote]

Thanks, jamrock, for reinforcing that point!

But fundamentally, it cannot entirely replace a Windows desktop can it?

Okay...

I really don't believe in this Windows vs. Linux argument.

I will use the appropriate tool for the job. I will use a Mac to do certain things and a P.C. to do certain things. That is just my approach.

Linux is NOT the best thing since sliced bread. However, it is a good tool and it is growing in popularity.

To answer your question. Yes it can replace your desktop. It depends on the users' needs. Check these links:

http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...20515_3938.htm

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...82203linux.htm

There are two trends that you need to watch. There are certain Linux products such as Xandros and Wine that are designed to run Windows applications on Linux. You can do a search in the Linux forum re: Xandros.

Also, there is a very focused effort to bring Windows to the desktop. Microsoft in an SEC filing (basically, a stock exchange report) stated last year that if Linux becomes more popular on the desktop their revenues would be reduced.

More work needs to be done to make Linux easier to use by the average joe. This is my opinion. Some Linux users disagree with this. However, the growing popularity of the software and Microsoft's restrictive licencing policies are encouraging the movement towards Linux on the desktop.

Check openoffice.org for info. on an open source alternative to Microsoft Office. Sun also has Star Office.

Remember... It is all about having a choice, and lowering software prices. It is not about getting rid of Microsoft.

[quote author=Xenocrates link=board=5;threadid=505;start=0#msg3686 date=1047359049]
    But fundamentally, it cannot entirely replace a Windows desktop can it?
    [/quote]

From my experience....
    Yes it can.
    People use Mac's as a desktop right ? and without any Microsoft tools/software.
    I have been using Linux as my desktop OS for about 6 or 7 years now. There isn't anything you can do on an XP box that I can't do on my Linux box, but thats because I am used to it....
    The truth is it is just a different way of doing things on a computer. Once you adapt, it becomes second nature, and sometimes, you become even more efficient on Windows platforms. Sort of like learning a second language.
    Games... not really, only the biggest and baddest Games are on Linux (Unreal T). Seriously however, Linux has its share of games but they are not as intensive as PC versions.
    Then again I only use a console to play games (PS1/2 Cube) since I think PC's suck at gaming (imo).
    My current linux setup is over 2 years old, with regular usage. The only time I have to install or maintain anything is when I grab a newer version of my favourite distribution from Donavon. Otherwise, technically speaking, I have been using the same system and setup for over 4 years.
    Linux filesystems do not fragment like MS equivalent and as such I really have no need for "disk care" .
    Space management is moot, I have cron telling me when I have duplicates and quota warning me when I begin to eatup space on my home directory. I have scripts taring a compressing my home directory to a CDRW I leave in my burner.
    And I kind of like the idea that I am traditionally intrusion proof when I surf the web or virus proof when I get emails or open word documents.
    And comparing Mozilla to IE, Mozilla rocks, on any platform.

The biggest bonus for me.... I don't have to pay one red cent for software, or worry about liscenes issues. And all my graphics and development tools.... are free.

I can also watch my DVD's in peace without worry about "security features".

I like having superior reliability... NO CRASHES, and if Linux does crash ( in my case of bad RAM ) it lets you know by flashing your keyboard lights "1 for bad, 2 for really bad, 3 for OH GOOD LORD !!!" So you don't have to guess.

MY HP printer also works faster, and has better colour mamangement, when I print HTML or C code, or graphics on glossy paper.

Linux Graphics/Printing has a similar CMYK and RGB calibration to MAC systems, so colours are usuallly more vivid as opposed to Windows Equivalents, and I like being able to sysn my monitor to very custom frequencies.

Basic Linux Fonts are a bit backward, but Mandrake can "assimilate" windows fonts.

I don't run KDE, but I use KDE apps.... I preffer Windowmaker since I have been using the same old beatup voodoo video card for 4 years.... hell I haven't had a need to "up grade since" I started using linux. Another financial plus for me.

But thats just one mans world.

My handspring visor works like a dream with email and sms, I didn't have to buy the "plugins".

My CDRW burns more effectively, and in less time, especially disk to disk (I still use old 12x and 2x) typical burn time is 7 minutes for an audio cd with 20 songs.

biggest plus.... I need or own nothing from MS
    --regards

Linux is great for servers. I would dual boot Linux and Windows 2000 on a desktop pc. As for security. Most viruses are written for Windows PCs so Linux would hardly be affected. Ease of use is the only reason why Linux has not surpassed Windows. If most Windows users were introduced to Linux they would gawk (no pun intended) at it's technicality. They are used to the relative ease of use (so to speak) that Windows offers. If you are willing to learn and are technically minded then Linux is the OS for you.

Ok -=- lets stop throwing around the word technical...

There are technical aspect of windows too -=- in certain cases windows easier point and click is less time consuming than some task that you may have to go through in linux.

eg. Linux -=- Macromedia flash plugin on Conqueror -=- You have to download and archive from macromedia.com -=- then extract it -=- then open a terminal if you are in gui -=- then with previous knowledge of running the install, you'd type "./shockwaveflash-installer" -=- then follow the instuctions in the terminal window. Then go into Conqueror and make sure its looking for plugins in the folder where you just did the installation.

In windows IE -=- i'm sure there is a complex way to install a plugin -=- but someone took the time to make the file fool proof -=- all the person does is run the .exe file -=- usually by double click -=- then next, next, next, done. -=- open you browser and surf -=- no plugin browsing.

I Love Linux -=- but its not for everybody -=- technical - maybe -=- time consuming -=- yeah and not everyone can learn all of that, if something easiers exists. Tipically the person would ask "why take the high road?" -=- Its a mind set.

:: remember there are things even in windows people find complex -=- like an office worker trying to function without a mouse ;D

[quote author=Vermanucci™ link=board=5;threadid=505;start=0#msg4079 date=1049469954]:: remember there are things even in windows people find complex -=- like an office worker trying to function without a mouse ;D
    [/quote]
    Oh my goodness, what a nightmare It would be like watching TV without the remote ;D