Thread: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition is priced at...

Default Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition is priced at...

: Do I sense madness or lack of sense "Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition is priced at $999" - Might as well I start learning Linux @ pro level if I ever hope to work with an up-to-date server O.S. in the future...

> Haven't they seen that they already killed a large % or their market just from XP price - what are they thinkin? :-\ I am rather disappointed. :'(

FYI: - Does the madness ever end?
    http://news.com.com/2100-1010-990980.html
    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-966174.html

Default Re:Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition is priced at...

Vermanucci,

I only use Windows 2000 for terminal services, MS SQL and a few other programmes.

I need to be legal so I use Linux running Samba for domain controllers and file servers.

I cannot afford to purchase Windows 2000 for each server. There would be no money left to do other things.

On Saturday I will be installing Linux/Samba for a friend who has a business and is setting up a network.

Give anyone from JALUG a shout when yu ready. ;D

I was reading an article recently where Micro$oft had a stripped down version of thier 2003 Server OS for $299....

Drawbacks are the number of concurrent connection supported as well as some other functionality such as printing and terminal services are taken out of this version.....

This they are marketing as a competitor to Linux ;D ;D ;D

[quote author=Tech_Guru link=board=5;threadid=498;start=0#msg3597 date=1046968277]
    I was reading an article recently where Micro$oft had a stripped down version of thier 2003 Server OS for $299....

Drawbacks are the number of concurrent connection supported as well as some other functionality such as printing and terminal services are taken out of this version.....

This they are marketing as a competitor to Linux ;D ;D ;D
    [/quote]

Competitor to Linux?? With all those functions stripped out?? Who're they kidding??

This they are marketing as a competitor to Linux
    Really...

I have read of a stripped down version for running IIS only. This would be useful in some environments since the IIS server tends to be a dedicated box.

I would love to see the version that you have read about. Perhaps it may be useful for small companies that only need a file server to store data and don't have access to Linux support.

I believe that one of the big limitations of Linux right now is the absense of a large number of companies supporting it. I would be reluctant to use it if I was dependent on only one company for support. I.T. companies seem to come and go quite rapidly.

[quote author=jamrock link=board=5;threadid=498;start=0#msg3581 date=1046926316]
    Vermanucci,

I only use Windows 2000 for terminal services, MS SQL and a few other programmes.

I need to be legal so I use Linux running Samba for domain controllers and file servers.

I cannot afford to purchase Windows 2000 for each server. There would be no money left to do other things.

On Saturday I will be installing Linux/Samba for a friend who has a business and is setting up a network.

Give anyone from JALUG a shout when yu ready. ;D
    [/quote]

??? I R Lost -=- :-\ I got Suse running ;D

I R Lost -=- I got Suse running
    Pardon???

I already have Linux running - I did not say its not a good O.S.

Just making mention of the new and unique ways Microsoft is screwing around with the market.

They have had to re-think their whole financial model.

Office has been the main income generator for many years. It now appears to be a mature product. Companies aren't upgrading as quickly as they used to. Therefore they have tried to lock them in with the new licencing policies.

They have also been trying to find new sources of revenue, hence their venture into accounting software.

http://news.com.com/2008-1082-983550.html?tag=fd_nc_1

They are also coming out with some new products such as secure instant messaging for corporations. Eventually, Windows 20xx server should be able to run as an instant messaging server. You should be able to register IM clients, host audio/video meetings on it, etc.

http://www.wininformant.com/Articles...rticleID=27274

Would you trust Microsoft to secure your instant messaging?

I am expecting additional changes since Linux has started to eat away at their server revenue. They reported last year that if Linux becomes a major player on the desktop, their revenues will decline.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...82203linux.htm

The times, they are a changing...