• There is limited Hardware Support?

7 16.67%
  • There are too many flavors?

5 11.90%
  • There are not enough software?

8 19.05%
  • Too Geeky?

3 7.14%
  • There is not enough high quality games?

4 9.52%
  • Too difficult to use/not user friendly

14 33.33%
  • Don't care about it

1 2.38%
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Why people fear Linux

Ok im new to this linux os. What is linux? Whats the purpose of it???
    What a dumb question

Google my youth. Wasted post.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveyon View Post
    i guess ur really new, but im not gona put a blind eye on u...lemem try explain...

the puropse is the same as windows only that its free and stable and customizable...

imagine being able to customise eveything, remmeebr mac is based of linux, all mac is is a preety theme for linux and ofcourse some more apps, and from what i remmember windows based off mac...now linux or most distros are open source that means u can peep into the software and make it better or make it do what u want....and no more crashing with linux...its just a better way of life som will say...

i guess its hard to use linux...coz its a slighlt different approach to things, in windows u have the gui and all u see is the gui, but what really happens is the gui command thranslate into terminal commands and get excuted in the back ground, as for linux, u use the treminal as much or even more than the gui, which is y its essentially more powerful, u have full control of what happens..etc..

i agree the learing curve is steep, but guess what theres MORE than enuf dosumentation online...so that shound never stop u from trying ... and hell its FREE...

try it, most will recomend getting kubuntu and for some effects beryl...try it and tel us know..tho u might not know what to do at first when u install it, think of it this way, whatever u can do in windows u can well do in linux, minus the games(so people say)

and for what its worth...im damn scared of linux...i barly know what im doin
    Powerd by mother & God
    Get scheißen done!

It is just another operating system. That's all. I use it instead of Windows on my laptop.

If you are new to Linux, I would recommend Ubuntu. It is a desktop solution. The others are mainly used as servers. People need to understand networking to use them effectively.

i guess its hard to use linux...
    I find it easy to use. I have used it to set up:

domain controllers for Windows machines
    file servers on Windows networks
    mail servers
    firewalls
    routers
    network wide tape backup
    desktop machines
    address books
    instant messaging servers

To use any of the server based distros, you need a good understanding of networking. Once you have that, it is just a matter of taking the time to read and experiment.

I am now learning some new Microsoft technologies. I have set up SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) and now I am learning Sharepoint Services 3.0. I bought a book on IIS 6.0 and played around with it for a while. I then bought a book on SSRS and played around with it for a while. Now I am doing the same thing with Sharepoint.

This is the exact same approach I took with Linux. You won't learn any advanced Microsoft technologies without spending some serious time reading. That is the main reason that Microsoft is so big on certification. Certification forces people to read and understand their technology.

and for what its worth...im damn scared of linux...i barly know what im doin
    Lol!!! That's funny. What distro do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by pxshock123456 View Post
    remmeebr mac is based of linux, all mac is is a preety theme for linux and ofcourse some more apps, and from what i remmember windows based off mac...
    Just had to correct the statements made above. Mac OS X is not based of Linux. Mac OS X is Unix based. Starting with Mac OS X Leopard they can actually say that it is Unix and are no longer required to say Unix based as they are now Unix 03 certified (Linux is yet to receive any Unix certifications).

The pretty theme you refer to is called Aqua and it sits on top of a Microkernel called Darwin which is Unix like (again not Linux).

Finally, the initial Windows versions copied some Windowing features from the original Mac OS which by the way was not Unix based. Windows and Mac have gone down completed different paths since those days.

Sorry for the lecture but I prefer that when someone is explaining something that they at least give a correct definition of the topics even if its just a broad overview.