• There is limited Hardware Support?

7 16.67%
  • There are too many flavors?

5 11.90%
  • There are not enough software?

8 19.05%
  • Too Geeky?

3 7.14%
  • There is not enough high quality games?

4 9.52%
  • Too difficult to use/not user friendly

14 33.33%
  • Don't care about it

1 2.38%
Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why people fear Linux

Default Why people fear Linux

There are millions of users out there who use Windows for there day-to-day task, they want may want to switch dew deficiencies of Widows, but are hampered by obstacles and fears of there alternatives, namely Linux & Mac OS X. Well most people think Mac is great and very user friendly, but wouldn't switch dew to software limitation's, but the focus of this piece is not on Mac OS (great OS), but a Linux OS. There are many person's who thinks Linux is a very great OS, if not the best while there are other's who fear Linux, why? I'll address the problems and limitations/fear barriers associated with Linux.

There are two more likely reasons why people haven't switched to GNU/Linux.

1. Many people don't know about GNU/Linux to consider it as an option. Even so, Macs at least have FreeBSD at their core.

2. The lack of interoperability has led to a monopoly, which in turn has led to decreased competition and, subsequently, quality. Perhaps the Microsoft security model has improved with Vista(), but an awful lot of the current model seems to dwell on DRM as much as protecting users.

3. Some people fear choice. They fret and break into cold sweats over choices. But that doesn't apply to everyone. And people need to remember that the lack of choice has hurt them badly over the last 20 years. Honestly, though, I haven't heard all that many people complaining about not being able to choose a GNU/Linux distro. I can't recall the last time a newbie posted a note sayin, "I can't figure out which distro to choose. I'm off to reinstall Windows".

4. People want certainty that hardware and software will work. Windows users don't care if something works with GNU/Linux until they try to switch. But because they rarely bother to ask, the vendor sees no demand. Of course, maybe they figure the companies will ignore them, too. And I won't mention all those printers people spend up to a week trying to get working with Windows, despite being advertised as "plug-n-play".

NB: My digital cameras along with most other devices I own - work out of the box with GNU/Linux, even though there is no advertisement to that effect. There are over 100 vendors in the LXer Pre-Installed Linux Vendor database that will sell you a computer with GNU/Linux pre-installed. Most, if not all, of them ensure the box works before they ship it.

While it might be daunting for some to learn new applications, many of the GNU/Linux apps mimic the Windows apps closely enough that most people can figure out the basics fairly easily. And yes, I know some people have real difficulty adjusting to new applications. Some people also make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. Migrating some application data would be a bigger challenge, depending on the application.

5. As far as most people are concerned, the command line has gone the way of the dinosaur. It's all point-and-click

6. Some think Linux is still too geeky (Even though our friends at Conical have tried hard to reduce)

7. Games are limited (Cedega as working on that though)

8. Too difficult to install (so is riding a bicycle when you first got on it)

9. Photoshop and all the other goodies are not available....

10. The fear of not knowing. Knowledge can be a hag especially if you are just a point-and-clicker not interested in the dark abyss

With all that said, you don't come off like you went to sleep in 1999 and just woke up 10 minutes ago. Sure, GNU/Linux has its issues. Half of them have to do with businesses being unwilling to develop libre codecs, drivers and software. Another sizable portion has to do with "brand recognition". Frankly, that one is as big as any of the others, but it is worth switching to. I don't see Microsoft doing anything for you free

Ferron Smith
    Linux Activist
    Last edited by ferronrsmith; Jul 11, 2007 at 12:45 PM.

As soon as you make something idiot proof, Nature makes better idiots!!!

Think big, think smart, think linux

All mi know seh if a you write dat ya cyaan chat but who cares....... sure not me... what your trying to do is get every1 to recognize linux....it nah work! Windows 4 lyphe
    www.carhuntja.com - Buy and Sell Cars in Jamaica! - Coming Soon
    www.blackspade-ent.com - Jamaicas #1 Online Community
    www.mybbunlock.com - Instant Blackberry Unlocks Only 9.99 USD
    www.starallianceja.com - Negril's #1 In Entertainment

I love ubuntu.

Linux forever!

This is not a debate about who's wrong or who's right. Well a simple point-and-clicker like you wouldn't understand the basis of this article. It is illustrate/show reasons why many people fear using Linux and hence inevitably or stick to windows. People need to know about the good stuff.

A child in sub-Saharan Africa wouldn't know the difference between clean water and dirty water, so you wouldn't know the difference between what's good or what's really good, because all your life you have been fed mediocrity
    Last edited by ferronrsmith; Jul 11, 2007 at 12:14 PM.

Ubuntu is GREAT!!! Open Source in general is great. If everyone had to buy there software and not have the option to pirate it maybe the majority would be on the side of Linux.
    "God gives every bird its food, but He does not throw it into its nest"

I love OpenSource, I am a Linux Activist and a part of the Open Source Initiative. Until Hardware & Software developers start accepting Linux fully then we will continue to get the small end of the pie. We are gonna become, larger, one day at a time. I want to know why users fear using Linux?

Something to visualize, but remember we are rising:

Last edited by ferronrsmith; Jul 11, 2007 at 12:36 PM.

You ppl just don't stop do you??
    www.carhuntja.com - Buy and Sell Cars in Jamaica! - Coming Soon
    www.blackspade-ent.com - Jamaicas #1 Online Community
    www.mybbunlock.com - Instant Blackberry Unlocks Only 9.99 USD
    www.starallianceja.com - Negril's #1 In Entertainment

Too much flavor for an os that has limited support,, not enuff software, no real games, not userfriendly, not enuff geeks in the world. I guess you get my point. ALL OF THE ABOVE!! i will be in my grave by the time linux hit the desktop. ive been reading magazine for years about linux going mainstream _> never happend. xp was out for ages linux didnt even make a push. linux offers stability but i can go the the mac os for that. what linux "people" dont understand is people nowadays is not looking for complexities we are looking for a easy,efficient solutions. why the hell in this day and age i would want to sit down and type 50 commands for a simple process when i can make a few clicks.
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Why stop when we haven't get started, rise flags, draws canons, sail to the .... Linux is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by ferronrsmith View Post
    Why stop when we haven't get started, rise flags, draws canons, sail to the .... Linux is coming

Linux is going nowhere. all you opensource programmers should stop waisting your time. and bow down and worship the almighty microsoft. lets face it windows is gonna be running on 98% of desktops lets say forever!
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau