Thread: Flashing red lights alarm Microsoft amid mass Xbox 360 crashes

Default Flashing red lights alarm Microsoft amid mass Xbox 360 crashes

Microsoft Windows PC users are all too familiar with the infamous "Blue Screen of Death". Now Microsoft has to contend with a US$1 billion hardware problem afflicting Xbox 360 consoles worldwide known as the "Red Ring of Death".

For those not familiar with the Xbox 360, the console has a circle on the front panel made up of four quadrants of lights. When all is well, all four quadrants emit a steady green glow. What has been making Xbox 360 owners' blood run cold is when three of the lights suddenly start flashin red, which indicates a hardware failure.

What exactly is causing this as yet unexplained hardware failure is unknown - or at least Microsoft is not saying. However, with about 12 million Xbox 360 consoles in the wild, some estimates are suggesting that affected consoles number several million. With Microsoft admitting that the problem will cost the company US$1 billion, that number appears to be no exaggeration.
    Article Here

Regards,
    "There is a certain relief in change, even though it be from bad to worse; as I have found in travelling in a stage-coach, that it is often a comfort to shift one's position and be bruised in a new place." - WASHINGTON IRVING, Tales of a Traveller

Lightbulb Not Surprised! Pc's die all the time.

Proves my point exactly! We should just keep our consoles as consoles, and our Desktops as desktops. I think the unexplained hardware problem is that the system needed just one more fan to keep it somewhere below the boiling point of water. I just have one question: I keep wondering if Microsoft is going to pay for shipping (both ways ofcourse) If I buy an Xbox, it breaks, and I have to return it for repairs?

On a positive note though, my 60yr old dad knew about this story before I did and he's never played a console in his life. I just hope this doesn't turn into something similar to the infamous 'Sony battery recall.'
    Last edited by Link; Jul 6, 2007 at 01:29 PM.

No warranty out side the US for XBOX, PS2 or Wii

Sorry about that. So if you want you would have to ship it your sell and get it shipped to a US address and then to JA. Hush! But the cause from a poor solder of the board. It was not made to conduct extreme heat and the XBOX360 HOT! So things lift after a few months!
    PSP,PS2, XBOX,XBOX360, Wii, Gamecube all tricked out!
    Games Lounge now in The Thursday Star! Get your copy every thursday!