Thread: First iPhone bugs discovered

Post First iPhone bugs discovered

Thanks to months of iPhone hype and the vindication of huge sales, by anyone's estimate Apple is certainly riding high this week. Leave it to the hackers, however, to try to cut the company down to size. Mere minutes after the iPhone's release, Robert Graham of the Errata Security blog discovered the first official iPhone bug: an outstanding Safari vulnerability that was previously discovered in a desktop version of the browser. What's more, it was found that the iPhone is just as vulnerable to caller ID spoofing--which can allow others to access your voicemail--as any other AT&T/Cingular handset. With as many as 525,000 iPhones now in the wild, these vulnerabilities could pose a major threat to iPhone users--not to mention the employers of those iPhone users.

However, there is a silver lining. Unlike the traditional handset security model, which finds carriers addressing (or more often that not, not addressing) security vulnerabilities via the network, Apple has reserved the right to deliver software and firmware updates directly to the iPhone via iTunes. And as we have seen, Apple has been pretty vigilant in addressing Safari exploits, thus far. "While Apple is slightly behind Windows on the desktop/server (that Samba bug still appears to be unfixed), it's still light years ahead of the mobile vendors," Graham writes on the Errata Security blog. "The mobile market is completely screwed up right now: while carriers know about the widespread vulnerabilities in their phones, the carriers are unwilling to patch them."

Link: http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=582
    Dain Bramaged
    Google Voice: 954-779-6436

http://www.prolexic.com Now Apart of Akamai Technologies

Good post and thank you for the link!

I wonder if there will be a patch. Or maybe im pushing it, its a cellphone after all.
    Pc= Hp dv6t

well it wouldnt be called patch but there will be firmware upgrades im sure of that just like vista or should say windows who uses the tearm service pack.
    We sell only the latest and the best product and we don't have only one in stock so never be afraid to buy CONTACT US @ 3631007 OR BBM 7A0E8BF1

I dont see why this phone is so hyped up . Just get urself a n N95 peeps or a toppa top S.E. and you criss

Well as far a security sometimes this is why u allow the product to be on the market sometime before you get it see how it functions under real life situations as well as to see what the nerds around the world include most of us here will do to it before u get it, though it's definately on my list as soon as my current contract is up will be getting on or maybe wait for a second gen, nah can't that long.

Quote Originally Posted by technician View Post
    I dont see why this phone is so hyped up . Just get urself a n N95 peeps or a toppa top S.E. and you criss
    are you familiar with the features of this new phone?
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    are you familiar with the features of this new phone?
    Guess he isn't..... Its a IPHONE YOW!
    www.carhuntja.com - Buy and Sell Cars in Jamaica! - Coming Soon
    www.blackspade-ent.com - Jamaicas #1 Online Community
    www.mybbunlock.com - Instant Blackberry Unlocks Only 9.99 USD
    www.starallianceja.com - Negril's #1 In Entertainment

Quote Originally Posted by teensicle View Post
    Guess he isn't..... Its a IPHONE YOW!
    i guess him need to go read up on it maybe he will be crazy about it. i not a phone person trust me. i have my same cellphone for like 8 years now. but the iphone impressed me!
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau