Thread: Will Dell's new Linux desktops start a gray-market trend?

Default Will Dell's new Linux desktops start a gray-market trend?

I just found this article Will Dell's new Linux desktops start a gray-market trend?
    http://desktops.linux.com/article.pl.../07/07/0143243

There was a small but important breakthrough on the consumer desktop front Monday. OK, it happened in Italy, but at least it happened -- and it involves a major international retailer.

As of now, one can buy a Dell desktop with pre-installed Linux through its Italian channel partner Questar.
    The particular model is a Dell Optiplex 170L mini-tower system running the Linspire 4.5 distribution and bundled with three years of Dell's Gold tech support plus one free year of Linspire's CNR software catalog.

You can't order it through Dell's regular U.S. Web site or through any of Dell's U.S. retail channels. But you can still order it. It may take a little longer to get it delivered, and you may have a few extra fees to pay, but you can get one. Dell is handling distribution to anywhere in the world from its plant in Ireland, Linspire spokeswoman Ellie Sanchez told Linux.com.
    Granted the article states that it isn't too easy to get the system made BUT at least you can get a DELL with a form of Linux on it.

Default Re: Will Dell's new Linux desktops start a gray-market trend?

I don't get it. My understanding was that Dell has been selling workstations with Red Hat installed for years.

[quote author=Ramesh link=board=8;threadid=4916;start=0#msg46310 date=1089524026]
    I don't get it. My understanding was that Dell has been selling workstations with Red Hat installed for years.
    [/quote]

I thought so too Ramesh. I recently Ordered a customized Dell Server for a company and RedHat was an Option for OS.

In recent months, IBM and Hewlett-Packard Co. have made installed Linux desktop machines available for sale in the Far East, but not in the States.
    - from the same article

Quite strange because the website i customized from was the US region.

And why did they use the heading "grey market trend", Is it because it has to channel through Italy, or ordering it from Italy to the US violates some rights? It seem all good to me.

I hope these Systems are Cheaper, since everyone already know that Linux is an opensource OS and all they have to charge for is just their Hardware.

[quote author=Virus_NCU link=board=8;threadid=4916;start=0#msg46314 date=1089549325]
    I thought so too Ramesh. I recently Ordered a customized Dell Server for a company and RedHat was an Option for OS.- from the same article
    [/quote]

Server and workstation may be a different thing. Linux has always been a major choice for servers so that couldve been why linux was included but in terms of personal computers they may just have started because there is now a rise in the demand for linux

I think that Dell as deal with Microsoft that client can only ship with Windows.

Red Hat has been an option on Poweredge servers. Windows has been the only option on workstations.

It is all about supply and demand. If Dell or another manufacturer finds that enough people want workstations with a Linux distro installed, they will supply it.

Perhaps they are just testing the waters at this time.

Sales of servers for use with Linux has been growing much faster than sales of servers for use with Windows 200x. Xeno's research has shown that the majority of these machines are used as web servers. I have seen articles to suggest that there is an increased use of Linux for file/print servers on Windows networks.

HP and IBM have been making serious money from Linux server sales and Linux consulting services. IBM even has Linux running on mainframes. 8)

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver...x2001&t=ad

http://h10018.www1.hp.com/wwsolution...d=go/customers

Here is an article that may shed some light on the issue

http://news.com.com/Dell+clarifies+r...3-5259014.html