Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Netspeak killing my internet connection

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by ObeahMan View Post
    For the last few days my Netspeak has been horrible. I will talk on it and it will be choppy then it will cut out altogether and kill my internet connection. My setup all along before was Antenna - router - Netspeak which has always worked fine for me up until a few weeks ago. I spoke to the guys at J2 and they told me to hookup the net connection directly into the Netspeak unit (antenna - Netspeak - router - PC) which worked great but it killed the net connection. I tried going back to the original setup and used the Netspeak's MAC address to give it priority with the same results.

I also logged into the Netspeak unit to see if there is a QoS setting that I can change but there isn't any.

I'm using J2 wireless 600/200 and a Linksys WRT54G ver. 5 router with the latest firmware and my Netspeak unit is an MTA3328-2Re.

Can anyone out there help? It was working fine for the most part all along and I'm about pulling out my hair having to power cycle to get things working again.

Hey Obeahman, don't know if u r still on this forum. I am trying to do port forwarding on the Innomedia MTA, but sour LIME wont give me the password to log on to the unit. Do you have a PW I can try?? Anyone for that matter?
    Last edited by Injahnet; Jan 18, 2009 at 09:34 PM.

Why do you need to configure port forwarding on the Netspeak MTA?
    Its not a router...Explain what u need to accomplish..
    I dont need to know everything, I just need to know where to find the answer...Einstein

Omar O Thompson (CISA, CCSP, CCDA, CCNA, NCDS(CS1000), LPIC-1, Linux+)

Quote Originally Posted by tech_guru View Post
    Why do you need to configure port forwarding on the Netspeak MTA?
    Its not a router...Explain what u need to accomplish..
    I am setting up a DDNS service to a web server which is behind the MTA. Without the port forwarding, the ports I need, 80 for HTTP and 5000 UDP/TCP for my application are in STEALTH mode (5000 is in stealth mode) and not open due to the MTA. My router which is behind the MTA, and the cable modem are all set to port forward and when I take the MTA out of the loop the setup works. The MTA does have port forward, its a 3328 2R, I don't know if they (LIME) allow bridging of all the ports... but it would seem not... I've tested the ports through grc.com and confirmed the MTA is causing the ports to be in stealth when it is the network.

BTW the innomedia 3328 2R that LIME uses is a router... or as Innomedia says "with built in router"..
    Last edited by Injahnet; Jan 18, 2009 at 09:26 PM.

I had my unit hacked long time ago, so I don't really remember what the original password was.

Try with username 'admin' and password 'n2p' and let me know if that works.

Michael

So you have a cable modem, a router, an MTA/router and your PC and you put the MTA right behind the cable modem??!!

While the MTA is indeed a router I would advise that you don't use that functionality in it as it would not be as robust as your standalone router.

Try this setup, cable modem -> router then one connection from router to PC and the other connection from router to MTA. With that setup you do your port forwarding from the router instead which you are already familiar with and the MTA does what it was meant to do and just do VoIP calls.

The MTA is supposed to do QoS (Quality of Service) and therefore setting aside enough bandwidth for the VoIP call at any time. But that can only work if the MTA is first in the chain.

I don't do it that way, though, due to the reasons you mentioned.

I know the Innomedia MTA does QoS, but so does the router model that I use so I would not have to worry about putting the MTA first unfortunately he may not be so lucky. I was just trying to help the brother out as having double routers in use will lead to
    NAT -> NAT problems.

I got the n2p pw and tried that but it don't work... If I put the MTA behind my router, it will work, but qos on the router (wrt54g) did not give good quality VOIP traffic on the MTA. Seems its a regular issue I've seen it elsewhere in these forums. SIP seems to be a hog of bandwidth, especially if there is constant VOIP traffic.. Will keep looking at options..

PS I found a site that gives a free unlock hack for the Samsung omnia i900l... I know its a different forum, but the find is exciting.. Works on WM 6.1 devices...
    Last edited by Injahnet; Jan 21, 2009 at 06:36 AM.