Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Netspeak killing my internet connection

Exclamation Netspeak killing my internet connection

For the last few days my Netspeak has been horrible. I will talk on it and it will be choppy then it will cut out altogether and kill my internet connection. My setup all along before was Antenna - router - Netspeak which has always worked fine for me up until a few weeks ago. I spoke to the guys at J2 and they told me to hookup the net connection directly into the Netspeak unit (antenna - Netspeak - router - PC) which worked great but it killed the net connection. I tried going back to the original setup and used the Netspeak's MAC address to give it priority with the same results.

I also logged into the Netspeak unit to see if there is a QoS setting that I can change but there isn't any.

I'm using J2 wireless 600/200 and a Linksys WRT54G ver. 5 router with the latest firmware and my Netspeak unit is an MTA3328-2Re.

Can anyone out there help? It was working fine for the most part all along and I'm about pulling out my hair having to power cycle to get things working again.

Log into your netspeak online account ... see if it is sett to highspeed... or normal connection ..

Also, clear all voicemail u may have on it .
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

FaceBook | Twitter | Instagram

I cleared all my voicemail and checked the setting and its on high speed broadband. I know that it only uses 80kbps up/dpwn so my connection can handle that fine.

I was using it last night and it was working much better but I'll see how it goes during the day today.

Oh, I also changed to a different router but was having the same problem so I can rule that one out.

I dont use mine on highspeed ... can browse much faster like this, and call quality is just as good..
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

Quote Originally Posted by ObeahMan View Post
    For the last few days my Netspeak has been horrible. I will talk on it and it will be choppy then it will cut out altogether and kill my internet connection....

...I'm using J2 wireless 600/200 and a Linksys WRT54G ver. 5 router with the latest firmware and my Netspeak unit is an MTA3328-2Re.
    Have you tried any VoIP specific bandwidth tests? Something like http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/. I'd be interested to see the results, say, after a call that starts to break up.

For the uninitiated, VoIP testers look at things like packet loss and jitter in addition to raw bandwidth.

Hear this simple solution: get a mega-phone, it's portable, cheaper and wont interfere with your bandwidth in any way;
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

I need to have a US# & Can# for people to call me on ... i need someting fairly reliable ..

Mega phone have that ???
    ---
    Stay Connected,..

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
    Have you tried any VoIP specific bandwidth tests? Something like http://myvoipspeed.visualware.com/. I'd be interested to see the results, say, after a call that starts to break up.

For the uninitiated, VoIP testers look at things like packet loss and jitter in addition to raw bandwidth.

Here is a link to a test I just did on that site. Connection wasn't being used for anything else at the time of the test.

http://mvsord.visualware.com/myspeed...port?id=421028

Quote Originally Posted by ObeahMan View Post
    Here is a link to a test I just did on that site. Connection wasn't being used for anything else at the time of the test.

http://mvsord.visualware.com/myspeed...port?id=421028
    Wow. A couple of things jump out at me. The upload speed, for example is definitely on the low side. In my experience that upload speed wouldn't be enough to sustain a call at the default setting. Even using the lowest bandwidth codec it would be a tight fit. This, I suspect, is the primary reason C&W has a minimum upload speed of 128k on its plans now.

The max pause is a tad on the high side but the average (~350ms) isn't bad. Once you get the conversation going you'd hardly notice it. The VoIP quality figures aren't great but the packet loss in particular might have just been a fluke when you were testing.

I would try GPRS Internet's suggestion to see if that helps. Failing that, maybe a call to J2 support?

I ran tests using C&W and Flow accounts for comparison (Flow results attached.) Quality-wise they were more or less the same. It is a bit unfair to compare this against results over a wireless network but but it should give you an idea of what good looks like. The raw bandwidth is less less important than the consistency.

http://mvsord.visualware.com/myspeed...port?id=421482

I set my Netspeak to the medium to low bandwidth setting and just made a call and after about 15 minutes it killed the conversation and the internet connection again. This is getting tiring.