Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UCC's Associate Degree in Management Information Systems

RubberBand Man Guest

If you have money and time to waste go right ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by RubberBand Man View Post
    If you have money and time to waste go right ahead.
    OK I'm getting tired of this. All I'm hearing is nuff chat and no substance.

If you're not going to give hard CONSTRUCTIVE evidence as to why you make these claims then please for the benefit of those people who might actually be interested in getting a objective review of the program , don't post. It helps no one other than getting ur post count up.

Tell us WHY you say the program is bad preferably with supporting evidence/examples. THAT sort of information will be useful not along the lines of "dem fool yaaah"...

Well, for 1 b4 i registered they said the course was accredited (lie 1)
    We later found out it wasnt.. Halfway through the course we (the class) asked whats the deal... they said couple of months l8r or b4 the course ended (lie 2)

The IT dept. was a joke - machines in there probably older than me to rahtid. (think they swapped those out after we completed the course) Luckily we got our laptops like 4 months into the course.

The final course work, pftt.. dont even know where to start with that. That in itself was a joke, it was almost scripted if you ask me... showup on the day and present your greatest work.. they watch ur presentation and jot down some notes... good/bad/ok presentation and thats that..
    sit down a ur yard after that, or do their bsc.. for near a million $s
    Which i think is accredited

We pretty much called them liars, some were planning to sue, some planned to burn the school down.... Didnt quite reach that stage. Thats when we got pilled (lie 2)

So.. if that course still isnt accredited - from me to you, go to a different school

Edit:
    And from the looks of it: http://www.ucjamaica.com/credit/index.htm
    The course still isnt accredited. If your lucky they'll give u the option to switch courses & do Business Administration, they offered us that option

On UCJ's site they call UCC - Institute of Management something another..
    BTW, you can/should call the school and ask if the course is accredited, if not find out when they think it should be..

All this happened btw in 2003 i think. We were in the 3rd batch of suckers
    Last edited by Virus; Jun 19, 2007 at 11:07 PM.

Do you guys know that UWI is not accredited, so does that mean people should not go to UWI. UCC was formed when Institute of management & Production (IMP) and Institute of Management Sciences (IMS) amalgamated in 2002. UCC went throught the accreditation process between December-2006 and March 2007. The accreditation process was successful and therefore they should be listed shortly among the other institutions.

UCCJ is not nearly a good choice. I have a friend that just finished her associate degree there (MIS). At the end of it all, she hasn't learned anything, yet her grades were As and Bs. This was possible due to 'copy and paste' and the likes. Lecturers are crappy. She is now planning on doing IT 0' levels.
    Isn't it a marvelous thing? The mystery of the mind?
    Dear Mr Obama..could you please bail out caribyard.com ?
    Athlon 64x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-M590SLI-S4 Mobo, HD 4870 512MB Graphix, 4gigs OCZ DDR2 800 RAM, Acer 22" WideScreen.

Talking

Still not sure if this would be a good choice or not.

What I do know is: the organisation in charge of accrediting schools and their programmes is called the "University Council of Jamaica". I found their website and looked at the schools and the courses that they accredit, and unfortunately, I don't see the course being accredited at UCC.

You can look through the list and make your decision: http://www.ucjamaica.com/credit/index.htm This list is as at April 2007.

Good luck.

RubberBand Man Guest

I can concur with all the above statements. It's all true cause I went there. They never give you a straight answer. I have learnt more stuff by trial and error. I wonder how long they telling people they soon get accredited?

I am in my final year at UCC BSc in I.T. the only reason i am there is because i got a scholarship. i dont think their I.T. course is ready yet, its better to go to utech. MOst of the lecturers come from UWI and Utech.

the only good thing about doin an ASc or Bsc in I.T. at UCC is because u can easily do ur masters or BSc from a foreign univeristy.

If i were u i would do the Asc at UCC then do the Bsc at university of london (mostly management stuff) or Florida international univerisity(programming and math).
    ChAos AnD cOnfLicT ArE mY ParEntS

Quote Originally Posted by Virus View Post
    Well, for 1 b4 i registered they said the course was accredited (lie 1)
    We later found out it wasnt.. Halfway through the course we (the class) asked whats the deal... they said couple of months l8r or b4 the course ended (lie 2)

The IT dept. was a joke - machines in there probably older than me to rahtid. (think they swapped those out after we completed the course) Luckily we got our laptops like 4 months into the course.

clipped for brevity
    trust me all of this is true

i was there from 2004-2006 and it is a complete waste of time

1- the courses aren't accredited
    2- facilities are pathetic
    3- they get half assed teachers who barely know how to teach
    4- its far more expensive than other places
    5- they give un-nessesary courses in the MIS program (when i was doing it they made me do psychology and sociology.. WTF?!?!)

maaaan, at the end of the year, i failed 2 subjects and never wanted to repeat cuz i mean, why bother when the course isn't even accredited?
    Last edited by Arch_Angel; Jun 20, 2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: shortened quote
    Vylle"Instability shows far more ignorance than indifference"
    PC: INTEL I7 6700K | 2TB SSD + 2TB HDD | GTX 1080 | 32GB DDR4
    Phones: OPO 534-9428 (LIME) or 5925530(DIGI)
    Facebook || Twitter

3- they get half assed teachers who barely know how to teach
    5- they give un-nessesary courses in the MIS program (when i was doing it they made me do psychology and sociology.. WTF?!?!)

maaaan, at the end of the year, i failed 2 subjects and never wanted to repeat cuz i mean, why bother when the course isn't even accredited?
    lol, i also agree with these main points. The Visual Basic teacher.. everybody in the class had a problem with him & pretty much all of the class failed the final exam. Between the language barrier and our complaining they gave us a make-up test..... dwl, funniest thing ever

90% > of the class failed and bcuz it would've looked bad on the school they gave another/ easier exam.. lmao
    Last edited by Virus; Jun 20, 2007 at 05:10 PM.