Thread: Multi boot problem

Default Multi boot problem

How does one deal with the issue of reinstalling an OS that's a part of a multi-boot setup. Example i want to reinstall Windows Me (that's giving me some problem) without messing up the dual boot setup that i already have with windows 2K.

Note: both OS are on separate partitions Fat and Ntfs.

Default Re:Multi boot problem

I figure I would copy the boot files (boot.ini and related files) to safe location then reinstall Me then replace the original boot files..

BTW - why in heavens name are you using Me?

BTW - why in heavens name are you using Me?
    Now, that is a good question!!!

[quote author=DarkAngel link=board=5;threadid=472;start=0#msg3404 date=1046206623]
    How does one deal with the issue of reinstalling an OS that's a part of a multi-boot setup. Example i want to reinstall Windows Me (that's giving me some problem) without messing up the dual boot setup that i already have with windows 2K.

Note: both OS are on separate partitions Fat and Ntfs.
    [/quote]

I have no experience with ME, but since it's build off the 9x kernel I'm assuming it's not the smartest OS in the world. Whenever you re-install ME, it'll most likely overwrite your MBR which will basically seal off your other OS's on their partition, never to be seen again.

Now if windows 2000 is worth anything, it should have a rescue mode on the installation media that would allow you to re-install just the boot loader in a Linux esque manner. This boot loader should also automatically pick up ME and set it up as a boot option.

If this doesn't happen contact the Jamaica Linux Users Group (http://www.jalug.org) for a copy of the latest Redhat, Mandrake (which now has NTFS resizing I hear) or any other flavour of Linux you desire. HEY!!! I'm serious here.

Why am i using Windows Me, well i wanted a while back to set up a dual boot system and Win Me and 2k where the only two OS i had at the time. Yes i know that Win Me have issues - i am experencing them right now.
    I already have RedHat and Mandrake so thanks for the suggestion cknight, although i have not setup Mandrake/Redhat on it's own partition yet- still waiting for a good tutorial on the steps to setup a multi-boot with Mandrake9/Redhat 8, Win2k and Win 9x, most of the tutorial speak in generalities and don't address properly (or at least in ways that i can understand )the issue with configuring the boot manager ( LILO or other) to get everything working.

Anyway for the time been i just want to reinstall Win Me. So the following is the steps i should take:
    Backup the boot .ini file
    Re-install Me
    replace the boot.ini file and that should address the issue?
    and btw cknight how would i go about doing :
    it should have a rescue mode on the installation media that would allow you to re-install just the boot loader
    if replacing the boot.ini file don't work?

I doubt replacing the boot.ini fole will fix replace your bootloader, A bootloader resides on your MBR or BR, not on a normal sector of your hard disk. The boot.ini file is jus a reference. It's the configuration file theat the boot loader uses to find which OS's it should boot and where to find them.

I'm unsure as to how it would be done, I've never used W2k. However, I'm assuming that somewhere during the installation process you'll be presented with an option to "Rescue" or "Repair" an installation. That's where you should find the option to re-install the boot loader.

TELEGRAM!

I've seen where ppl are having OS installation problems so I have come to inform you. If you did not already know :-\.

{inhales deeply} :-X

There is a software called Connectix Virtual PC. It allows the average user to install any OS to their PC or MAC. Imagine Windows on a MAC OS. Any way, I think it is not a bad idea to install this on your machine. Besides it is just like partitioning your harddrive for different OS's without all the manual hastle. I recommend anyone to check this out!

Virtual PC is designed to emulate the entire hardware of the PC!!!.

{exhales}
    {wew! that was long.}

It's Feature allows you to run other OS's in, for example Windows 9x, XP, etc,
    without restarting your machine isn't that great! You don't have to exit the first OS to control the second. In other words it is a PC emulator.

Link:
    http://www.connectix.com/products/vpc5w.html

However for all those who love free-ness, it's not. Although you can download a 48 day trial version for it. (and probably get a full serial # from somewhere - s2k : : :-X )

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. Better backup all my data just in case.