Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how do I run a java program using javaw.exe?

Default Re:how do I run a java program using javaw.exe?

and another thing you need to know ... even if you were to compile that code correctly .... javaw.exe will not run it .... what you are writing is a console application ..... javaw was built only for GUI applications ..... java.exe is what you should be using in this case ..... javaw was put there to get wid of the console , while running a gui app ..... since in most cases the console is mainly used as a debugging feature .... or just to give screen dumps when checking the state of the program .... javaw.exe will just ignore the print statements you have there without giving any errors .... and for IDE 's i rate JCreator as the one to get

thanx for your help guys. I'll get at it as soon I regain enough will power.

Owen,

U do NOT need to have ur program/code in the same dir as the java.exe/javaw.exe; ???

After the Java SDK is setup what you should do is add the /bin directory of the setup to your PATH environment variable on your OS {Window/Linux} ...

On Linux you can edit /etc/profile or ~/.bashrc to add the dir to the PATH variable;

On windows you can {WinKey}+{Pause/Break}->Advance->Environment Variables and edit the PATH variable to include the bin dir of the SDK.

eg. My setup is at c:\j2sdk_1_50\ so i add c:\j2sdk_1_50\ bin to my path;

then from any dir you can just type
    >javac myfile.java // to compile
    >java myfile // to run .. don't add '.class' to the command

Java can be difficult to setup but it is fun none the less // if you like serious OOP. ;D