Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using your celphone as a Modem to connect the internet (better than dial-up)

There's a modem string for the miphone also. I know it, but I can post it tomorrow. I think the reason digicel won't change their rate for gprs is because of their plans to launch wimax. GPRS is targeted at cellphone users, a cellphone will use a lot less bandwidth than a computer, so when browsing on the phone, the charge of 25 cents per kb will not seem so horrible. And in the near future, computer users will have wimax, which (knowing digicel) I expect to be expensive, but it'll be more affordable than gprs. And faster...
    Last edited by Anaarki; May 24, 2007 at 01:01 PM.
    Click the link if you would like to see a solution to the problems that face humanity; war, hunger, poverty and suffering, crime, inequality, control, corruption and all the other things that negatively affect our planet. www.thevenusproject.com and www.thezeitgeistmovement.com

yes. not that im fighting out digicel cuz i still remember the days of cable and wireless charging activation fee and dem tings dere but right now miphone is offering 1XRTT. which is around 2Mbits for waaaaay cheaper than what digicel offering for GPRS.
    Last edited by blairafon; Jul 5, 2007 at 12:13 PM.
    Its not the idea its the execution

Yung_Jah Guest

How much is Miphone is charging? And what kind of phones are able to use evdo?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung_Jah View Post
    How much is Miphone is charging? And what kind of phones are able to use evdo?
    here : http://www.techjamaica.com/forums/sh...ighlight=minet
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

so far i know that their Razer is evdo compatible and its about $70 per day. as it is in its beta stage expect a rate increase. check the link that UTECH22 provided.

A lot of CDMA phones and PDA's have EV-DO technology. MiPhone only has the RAZR in stock but you can bring your own phone/pda/aircard or whatever to them for activation.

Currently I have air cards and PDA's with EV-DO technology but since MiPhone has launched it's EV-DO service yet I can not activate them (although MiPhone was nice enough to let me get into their testing stage).

And yes Anaarki-there are some optimal setting for your computer that will increase your MiPhone UP/Download speeds.
    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Which of the EV-DO will Mi Phone be offering?
    EV-DO Rev A :
    Offers fast packet establishment on both the forward and reverse links along with air interface enhancements that reduce latency and improve data rates. In addition to the increase in the maximum burst downlink rate from 2.45 Mbit/s to 3.1 Mbit/s

EV-DO Rev B:
    The EV-DO Rev B specification is the progressive evolution of the EV-DO Rev A specification. EV-DO Rev B maintains the capabilities of EVDO Rev A, and provides the following enhancements:
    # Higher rates per carrier (up to 4.9 Mbit/s on the downlink per carrier). Typical deployments are expected to include 3 carriers for a peak rate of 14.7 Mbit/s
    # Higher rates by bundling multiple channels together enhances user experience and enables new services such as high definition video streaming.
    # Utilizes statistical multiplexing across channels to further reduce latency, enhancing the experience for latency-sensitive services such as gaming, video telephony, remote console sessions and web browsing.
    Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. Live for computers or else they will live for you.
    8368993 (lime) 303-1359 (digi) blunt60us@yahoo.com

sumone tell me if i can use a v551 to dial-up to the internet

Quote Originally Posted by gold
    sumone tell me if i can use a v551 to dial-up to the internet
    Yes, you can use it as a modem. As long as it has the mini usb port. It is up to you to get your simcard provisioned for gprs.

Here is an image of what the mini usb looks like: