Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Using your celphone as a Modem to connect the internet (better than dial-up)

Default Using your cell phone as a Modem to connect the internet (better than dial-up)

Want to have Internet on the go? here is the setup to use your cell phone as a modem for all three networks.

Find a cellphone will a built in modem for example your Motorola razr or slvr (check user manual if your not too sure. rule of thumb once it has a USB port it generally has a built in modem). Connect your phone to your laptop or PC using a usb cable or if possible a blue tooth connection.

GPRS Settings

Digicel
    Name: Digicel Live
    Home page: http://wapdigicel.com
    WAP IP 1: 172.016.007.012
    Wap Port 1: 9201
    Line Type 1: modem
    GPRS APN: wap.digiceljamaica.com
    User Name: wapuser
    Password: wap03jam

Or visit Digicel web page for more info.

Cable and Wireless
    IP address: 10.20.5.34
    APN: ppinternet
    homepage: wap.google.com
    Username: leave blank
    Password: leave blank

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

Locate the CD that came with the phone as this generally has the modem drivers. Insert CD and proceed to install modem drivers. Follow CD instructions

Setup for Networks

Digicel
    Here is the tricky part now... in order for your computer to communicate with your cellphone modem you'll have to put in a data string on you computer. Have no fear i will provide you with it shortly.

Right click My Computer >Hardware and go to device manager. From there go to your modems drop down and select your phone modem. Go to advanced and type in the following:

AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WEB.DIGICELJAMAICA.COM"

The 1 in the string can be changed from upward to 4 i think. This specifies which GPRS browser settings you are using on your phone. Generally its the first one so its assigned "1"

Click ok and close device manager.

Next stage=> network connection

1. make sure your computer is picking up your phone and its modem
    2. Go to network connections and set up a new connection. name it Digicel
    3. leave username and password blank
    4. Number to dial: *99#
    5. Make sure the following are set.
    Properties > Configure > Maximum speed is at max

Properties > Security > and make sure you allow unsecured access

Properties > Networking > Settings > Enable LCP Extensions

6. Go to properties and set is as "do not prompt for username and password.

Cable & Wireless

Right click my control panel and go to device manager. From there go to your modems drop down and select you phone modem. Go to advanced and type in the following:

For Prepaid SIM
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","PPINTERNET"
    For Postpaid SIM
    +CGDCONT=1,"IP","INTERNET"

The 1 in the string can be changed from upward to 4 i think. this specifies which GPRS browser setting you are using on your phone. Generally its the first one so its assigned "1" click ok and close device manager.

Next stage=> network connection

1. Make sure your computer is picking up your phone and its modem
    2. Go to network connections and set up a new connection. Name it Cable & Wireless
    3. Leave username and password blank
    4. Number to dial: *99#

6. Go to properties and set is as "do not prompt for username and password.

Miphone
    => network connection

1. Make sure your computer is picking up your phone and its
    Modem. Right click my control panel and go to device manager. From
    there go to your modems drop down and select you phone modem. Go to
    advanced and type in the following:

AT+CRM=1; +CSO=33 (copy and paste)

2. Go to network connections and set up a new connection. Name it
    Miphone
    3. username: yoursevendigitmiphonenumber@minet.com
    password: password

4. Number to dial: #777

And it should work

Notes

Its best to go with Miphone or cable and wireless when attempting this as there rates are cheaper (they charge per day and Digicel charges per KB)

Miphone speed is generally 115Kb per second

I recommend the Miphone Motorola V3c because it is evdo capable and will be ready to take advantage of their brand new evdo network with speeds of over 1 Mbits per second it also has bluetooth data so you can connect to your bluetooth laptop or blackberry untethered.

You can purchase unmetered daily Internet for JA$75 from Miphone. If you enter the following string *127*329# (you may need to call Miphone first to set up your account for this to work first) this is really good to have when your Cable & Worthless adsl goes down.

Most times connecting to the internet via celphone if pretty fast...still better than dial up.

Cable and Wireless rate
    If you go the C&W route go to a CW outlet and purchase a GPRS SIM specifically for internet connectivity (Cant make or recieve calls or Text messages) the cost of the package is $1599 which is for the security deposit and 1st month access fee. And then after that you pay a monthly flat rate of $399 incl GCT.

If you need any clarification PM me or reply to this post.
    Last edited by blairafon; May 28, 2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: incorrect spelling

Most times connecting to the internet via celphone if pretty fast...still better than dial up.
    are u sure about this. if am not mistaken gprs internet is 14kb/s
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

lol nice post

Miphone speed is generally 115Kbps
    isnt that the general speed for gprs? cw, digicel

The Miphone connects at 230Kbps but the actual speed is 128Kbps.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

Virus, ah no. You connect to the modem at 115kbps or higher depending on what you set in your connection settings but actually connect to CW & Digicel at 35 - 40kbps, where as Miphone is truly at 115kbps.

The MiPhone speeds varies depending upon device as well. I find with the Aircards I get 154kbps and around 144 with the kyocera smart phone and 128kbps with the slider.
    111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Default Miphone vs C&W an digicel

Miphone i think is generally better than the other two networks in terms of internet speed, the cdma network allows them to have more data sending capabilities. as i mentioned in the thread, miphone will soon be evdo (Evolution-Data Only) ready so u can expect speed of 2 Mbits per second, allowing for real time data streaming (for example to can upload live video to your website from your phone) (this is 3G stuff). cable and wireless and digicel normally have connection speeds of 100 Kbits per second while miphone is a bit higher....soon it will be more than a bit. and i think that their JA$75 is reasonable.

imagine you going off to the country or wherever with your laptop and your mobile phone. you will still be connected to the world through your phone not missing a minute of anything.what needs to happen now is that digicel needs to get their heads out of the sand and do away with this whole 25c per Kb. thats just outrageous. flat rate...please!

I'm on miphone now. Far cry from 6MBPS I used to have where I used to live... but never the less... it is pretty decent and in the nights... moves so fast... I can youtube and I even feel like torrenting...lol.

19" LCD|Asus A8N SLI Deluxe|AMD X2 3800+ @ 2.5GHz Cooled by Zalman CNPS9500|4 x GSkill 1Gb DDR 400|2.25 TB Total storage|eVGA 256mb 8600GT DDR3 @ 640/1600MHz cooled by ZalmanVF700|Ultra X-Finity 600W PSU w/ 135mm fan|1 x 120mm|4 x 80mm|Altec Lansing AC56|Windows7 x64 : Ultimate

yep...mi nah lie i have flow now (6MB) as as mi quint mi check mail, youtube and download the last episode of heroes (torrent). but its great to kno that you can go newhere in JA and have internet especially if u have a PDA.