View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • C# (sharp)

22 70.97%
  • VB .NET

9 29.03%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: C# vs VB.NET

There are no real difference between the two. neither is more or less powerful than the other, there is no performance gain/loss in using one over the other. There is absolutely no difference between the two. they both use the same CLR, they both use the same libraries, they both get compiled into the same byte code. the only difference is that VB.net apps might be implement 2% faster because you type a little less characters....

check out real applications I have done in both. http://cgpgroup.com/index.asp?PgToLd=cgpword

programming is not about knowing syntax, programming is about knowing concepts like design patterns, data structures, algorithms and object orientation. any good programmer will be able to switch gears to a new language with a few weeks of training.

Comparing VB.net and C# is like comparing car #1 and car #2 in nascar or formula 1 racing; the paint on the car might make them look different but they are the same. it is the skill of the driver that makes the difference. like-wise it is the skill of the programmer that makes the difference in .NET.
    Last edited by CGPGroup; Jun 15, 2007 at 12:50 AM.
    easiparcel.com Shop online and ship to Jamaica

based on the comment here I can tell most of you have never actually written anything "real" in either language.

digimon Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CGPGroup View Post
    based on the comment here I can tell most of you have never actually written anything "real" in either language.
    Be quite, programmers here are more experienced than you think and will flame you for such comments
    Last edited by digimon; Jun 15, 2007 at 09:44 AM.

digimon Guest

There are no real difference between the two. neither is more or less powerful than the other, there is no performance gain/loss in using one over the other. There is absolutely no difference between the two. they both use the same CLR, they both use the same libraries, they both get compiled into the same byte code. the only difference is that VB.net apps might be implement 2% faster because you type a little less characters....

check out real applications I have done in both. http://cgpgroup.com/index.asp?PgToLd=cgpword
    U need to sharpen your interface skills btw

You are right about the CLR and JIT compilation which makes both of them equally as fast. But As a "former" vb.net developer i can tell u that the only thing i miss from Vb.NET is the "My" namespace.

I've developed in vb.net for about a year, then after that i realised that c# had more example codes so i decided to use c# for a change.

man what a transition. It seems as if c# is more widely supported online that vb.net. Check codeproject for instance

I developed so much apps with c# over that 2 year period. anything ranging from Network monitoring software, Client server apps, ASP.NET sites to name a few.

My experience might be unique, but the point i want to bring across here is that support for complex code is more available in c# than vb.net

Quote Originally Posted by digimon View Post
    U need to sharpen your interface skills btw

You are right about the CLR and JIT compilation which makes both of them equally as fast. But As a "former" vb.net developer i can tell u that the only thing i miss from Vb.NET is the "My" namespace.

I've developed in vb.net for about a year, then after that i realised that c# had more example codes so i decided to use c# for a change.

man what a transition. It seems as if c# is more widely supported online that vb.net. Check codeproject for instance

I developed so much apps with c# over that 2 year period. anything ranging from Network monitoring software, Client server apps, ASP.NET sites to name a few.

My experience might be unique, but the point i want to bring across here is that support for complex code is more available in c# than vb.net
    so how does that make C# any better than VB? I develop in both, sometimes the same application using a mixture of both languages. by the way those application and the site are just things I did "for the hell of it"....I cant and wont post my money makers... .

I agree that complex examples are more widely available in C#... but it doesnt take long to reverse engineer in VB.

Quote Originally Posted by digimon View Post
    Be quite, programmers here are more experienced than you think and will flame you for such comments
    remember the old saying? if the cap fit....

Their both the same, if u look at it, they both compile down to MIL so the only edge that c# has over vb.net is that c#'s ASM is 1 or 2 lines shorter but with all these dual core processors, if u can tell the difference in execution time then your good.
    "A good programmer is someone who looks both ways before crossing a one-way street."

digimon Guest

so the verdict is that c# apps can be written faster and complex examples are more widely available in c#

but vb.Net can do the same stuff because they all compile to intermediate lang and Jit'ed when needed

sorry if i made any vb.net people hurt, i'm just too patriotic @ times

Comparing VB.net and C# is like comparing car #1 and car #2 in nascar or formula 1 racing; the paint on the car might make them look different but they are the same. it is the skill of the driver that makes the difference. like-wise it is the skill of the programmer that makes the difference in .NET.
    that is so true... except that car #2 has the NOS lever right under finger tip and u are tempted to use it even around corners, u eventually do because it is easy gives u time to catch up on car #1. and before u know it car #2 is no longer being driven like car #1 its brake pads get used more, it skids more, it rattles more and before u even realize, finishes the race as car #2.

VB has equivalent expressibility and features as c#, however it allows u to b a little more relaxed and even gives u the oppertunity to write bad code. and as such ur code doesnt actually compile to the equivalent of say a c# programmer... though u could, u dont normally do.

i'll try to post code and the il code it was translated to ...just to show that VB will actually make more calls to parsing and conversion routines that will make code run less efficiently...but code will be written faster (2% might i say).
    Cultured in Aggression and Koding like a Warrior!!
    “Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius.” - George Bernard Shaw.
    "The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by icymint3 View Post
    VB has equivalent expressibility and features as c#
    Let me see you do this in VB.NET:
    Code:
    int i = 0;
    bool b = ( (i = 10) > 0) ? true : false;
    Trust me friend VB is not expressive and writing code in VB.NET Feels like typing a word document.