Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop application vs Web application

Default Desktop application vs Web application

Can Desktop application be completely replace with Web application?

Any major factor to consider?

talking generally.
    |--- www.RealJamaicaEstate.com ™ ---|
    Invest small = small returns [micro enterprise] | Invest Big = returns Big [macro enterprise]
    --- www.fashionsJAMAICA.com ™ -|- www.ChampsJamaica.com

If all the subscribers to your service got a reliable connection to the Internet that is really fast then there would be no issue.

But as you know server based apps whether on a local network or in the cloud are always a little bit more complex. unless your web app is intended to be installed on a local machine and access via a browser which wouldn't be ideal.
    THANK GOD

It depends... if your app requirement just data manipulation then yes... web can replace ur desktop

however if u app requirement requires direct processor access or desktop class then ... then NO at least for now... However, my understanding is that silverlight.. allow u to access more of the desktop only resources..

Major Concerns:

Web is quicker and Easier create and deploy (from my experience)
    Web tends to be cross-platform

However I personally find Desktop Application to be more secure

but thats only me... other might differ
    Why fight Information Technology when you can outsource IT

Well a client-server application could communicate across the web plus there are a bunch of desktop based web apps floating around now. It seems as if web apps are the future. As far as security, connections can be encrypted. Web app does make it easier to upgrade. However, you loose the people with crappy internet or no internet.

I agree....It can but is solely dependent on internet connectivity if hosted on the internet. Now if you host that web app on your own servers at work that would be sweet.
    "To err is human - and to blame it on a computer is even more so."
    Alcatel One Touch PIXI 3 (4.5)
    LG Fortune 2

Eventually all applications will be web-based as cloud computing and concepts like that are on the rise and the need for physical resources on machines will be reduced.
    CCNA looking for an opportunity

All I will say is that the cloud is a evil, evil, place that wants to own you and your data. There is no such thing as always online, well, at least not yet. Web Apps can replace some desktop apps but only with a fraction of its desktop functionality.

It seems as if everything is going to the cloud. Im not a fan of it but i guess in a few years we wont have a choice. web or nothing!
    The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by kevon View Post
    Eventually all applications will be web-based as cloud computing and concepts like that are on the rise and the need for physical resources on machines will be reduced.
    I agree. It should be that the computers of the future are dumb terminals and you just log on to a web service that fetches your desktops and documents. So you can go your brethren's house and use his PC like its your very own. Bwoy, I cant wait for that. It's long away though. The Internet needs much more bandwidth than it can support at the moment and Internet has to be more accessible than it is today.
    'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Follow Me: @psybuck2002us

Quote Originally Posted by duster View Post
    It seems as if everything is going to the cloud. Im not a fan of it but i guess in a few years we wont have a choice. web or nothing!
    doubt it, the web will be a service model, while the desktop apps will remain as products model, like AV and such that the cloud will never be able to implement properly of course unless we all stop using devices with local storage and us only thin clients with ROM only for booting and connecting and just enough RAM to operate satisfactorily.

That day is far away, Not even smartphones are moving in that direction much less computer.

Currently smartphone HDDs are getting larger just for this reason.
    THANK GOD