View Poll Results: How many of you guys use java.

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 100.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone using java

Question Re: Anyone using java

I'm with u on some of those last points now SQLDBA. These are much better than the first points.

The number of lines.... lawd.... I lamented that in another post.

The windows OS interlocking with .Net is excellent and I did state that I like that.

Personally.... I think... if u know u going with a full MS solution... go .Net

Java wasnt built as an extension of any particualr OS so if u want to optimize a knowingly native solution on Windows... go .Net... on Unix.... grab C/C++

But comparing java to .net as an efficiency tool on windows isnt really fair...
    Java will lose hands down, no contest. Those arent Java's strengths.

But let me add.... the java programmers did a test with java's regular expressions and showed that java could do it 3 times faster than perl. Did they use Perl's best modules... no.... but was their test result true... yes. The Java prog was faster... was it honest and valid..... hell no.... it was dishonest. Its all about motive.

So I dont use other ppl's "knowledge" or utterances blindly. I've used both environments. I can create a GUI at the same speed in Java using netbeans as in .Net using C# and VS .Net.

The difference as far as I'm concerned..... native environment. Thats just it. Java has a sandbox model, it operates in that sandbox. .Net doesnt have that strict sandbox.... it can play with the OS in ways Java can not. Now that is the real biggie... all these APIs, COM, DCOM..... lawd..... they exist everywhere and my experience has thought me.... its not the COM and APIs that come with a language that make ur day/nightmare.... its those u have to buy, and download. Lets face it.... exclude the native OS slapping around .Net is capable of and all languages have tools to accomplish the same thing.

But if ur thing is native code on windows...... send on .Net

PS
    .Net bound to have less lines.... I mean.... u dont have to enforce try and catch right. And every COM object.. not native to .Net will require the use of the same methods from Java or .Net
    Last edited by Lano; Oct 29, 2004 at 07:57 PM.

Default Re: Anyone using java

Quote Originally Posted by Lano
    I'm with u on some of those last points now SQLDBA. These are much better than the first points.

The number of lines.... lawd.... I lamented that in another post.

The windows OS interlocking with .Net is excellent and I did state that I like that.

Personally.... I think... if u know u going with a full MS solution... go .Net

Java wasnt built as an extension of any particualr OS so if u want to optimize a knowingly native solution on Windows... go .Net... on Unix.... grab C/C++

But comparing java to .net as an efficiency tool on windows isnt really fair...
    Java will lose hands down, no contest. Those arent Java's strengths.

But let me add.... the java programmers did a test with java's regular expressions and showed that java could do it 3 times faster than perl. Did they use Perl's best modules... no.... but was their test result true... yes. The Java prog was faster... was it honest and valid..... hell no.... it was dishonest. Its all about motive.

So I dont use other ppl's "knowledge" or utterances blindly. I've used both environments. I can create a GUI at the same speed in Java using netbeans as in .Net using C# and VS .Net.

The difference as far as I'm concerned..... native environment. Thats just it. Java has a sandbox model, it operates in that sandbox. .Net doesnt have that strict sandbox.... it can play with the OS in ways Java can not. Now that is the real biggie... all these APIs, COM, DCOM..... lawd..... they exist everywhere and my experience has thought me.... its not the COM and APIs that come with a language that make ur day/nightmare.... its those u have to buy, and download. Lets face it.... exclude the native OS slapping around .Net is capable of and all languages have tools to accomplish the same thing.

But if ur thing is native code on windows...... send on .Net

PS
    .Net bound to have less lines.... I mean.... u dont have to enforce try and catch right. And every COM object.. not native to .Net will require the use of the same methods from Java or .Net

How long have you been using .Net?
    I have within me the blood of kings....take me to the leader of your world.

This was an intresting debate.....
    Why did it stop?
    He who knows not and knows he knows not is a child....teach him

......Yes teach me...

Can dot .net run on any OS like JAVA?

Quote Originally Posted by kev1_mc
    nope....but thats probably only due to the fact its a Marcocrap product.
    He who knows not and knows he knows not is a child....teach him

......Yes teach me...

Marcocrap product? Elaborate man, please elaborate

Quote Originally Posted by kev1_mc
    It depends. There is the Mono Project that allows you to program in C# from Linux, Mac and Windows but its not fully compatible with microsoft's .NET platform they are only simlar where you have the base class libraries in standard C# (much like standard c). There is also the DotGNU poject but im not sure of the details on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by leoandru
    It depends. There is the Mono Project that allows you to program in C# from Linux, Mac and Windows but its not fully compatible with microsoft's .NET platform they are only simlar where you have the base class libraries in standard C# (much like standard c). There is also the DotGNU poject but im not sure of the details on that one.
    I think for the most part it is safe to say no (it can't run on multiple OS's). At least right now as things stand. My reason for saying this is that Microsoft has nothing to do with the mono project in anyway. Its not like Sun who provides you with a JVM for the different platforms. You will be relying on parties external from the inventors/creators of .NET if you run anything on Linux for example.

You will totally be on your own. Relatively simple c# code may be written but basically as things stand now for any serious project you would be locking yourself into a Microsoft's OS in my opinion.