View Poll Results: How many of you guys use java.

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 100.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using java

Default Re: Anyone using java

lol...the last part of that post had mi rollin
    "A conscience does not prevent sin. It only prevents you from enjoying it."

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonMan

Possible Syntax.

If (dis nuh work) den
    try dis;
    Or go deh so
    Dun.

Bill Gates watch out!!
    DIS TEK DI CAKE - honestly think about the prospects, when a patois syntax throws an error......

LOL. Yow Spoonman, dat funny.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Post Re: Anyone using java

I like the Java language; it is the best example of Extensable and reusable coding...........the problem i see is its need for a special server to run jsp/servlets........ApacheTomcat is cool...and i know their are the bug gun servers. But they don't help to promote wide spread use the language in everyday business; they seen more foocused on the enterprise market. And if you want to loose a battle in the tech world .... just go ahead and leave the little man out...... Microcrap realized that .... and is making changes ....(small business server)
    <hr></hr>

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial_Intelligence
    Microcrap
    that's funny =))

What I believe "Microcrap" is good at is the marketing. They lul consumer into taking on projects they cannot handle by creating a false sense of security.
    I have within me the blood of kings....take me to the leader of your world.

What u all talk M$ for... a charity
    The aim of all business is domination....
    If it is not...
    Then its a charity or humanitarian organization of some sort....

Hello... word is.. business

Anyway...
    I'm a java person
    Just dont see why the M$ bashing is necessary to make a point about the language

Good may still rise from evil....
    Is that y ppl go to church...
    To be good even though shaped in sin

Anyway

There are quite a few places out here that use java
    Most of them financial giants or working with money and many daily transactions

We all know java is a pain with number of lines necessary
    (Why so many wrappers/methods in methods to open and read one stupid text file?)

To get the same GUI in foxpro or powerbuilder takes me much less time

But we also know I can do all sorts of things in java that would be a pain in foxpro...

But seriously.... how many times does a database programmer need such features

Cross-platform is an advantage but how big for the average programmer

How many hybrid environments will most ppl in Ja work in

reason I use it.... cost

But if I could afford PowerBuilder 10.0 Enterprise....
    Last edited by Lano; Oct 28, 2004 at 08:52 PM.

Some good points there Lano. That reminds me, I need to visit Powerbuilder to see what they are up to with version 10.0.

Quote Originally Posted by SQLDBA
    If you run windows develop in .NET ,it integrates well with its OS platform better than Java ever will so why go SUN ?Java lacks multiple inheritance but it does force you to write more structure code than a VB.net,both have there advantages but in the End i prefer .NET slighlty because it executes faster than Java on windows.Unix is a more stable OS than Windows so if i am writing a banking app that needs 100% up time Java would be my only choice since Unix would be the OS of choice.Choice thats all it is write my code write it fast,write it clean at a good cost.

If you run windows develop in .NET ,it integrates well with its OS platform better than Java ever will so why go SUN ?
    What do you base this on? Where are your references?
    Further, would you expand on "integrates well"?

both have there advantages but in the End i prefer .NET slighlty because it executes faster than Java on windows.
    Same as before: What do you base this on? Where are your references?

Let me weigh in on this.

Intellisense is not a .Net feature.... it is a feature of the IDE used to code .NET. Foxpro 7 and 8 have intellisense, they are not .Net. Java IDEs Netbeans and Sun1 (Forte) have intellisense. What does that have to do with a language, its an IDE feature. Even php and perl editor have intellisense, and if u can get it in perl, with 6 million ways to get the job done.... it cant be a .Net feaure.

U can use any COM and DCOM component on a machine from java and it has its own APIs. That is the equivalent.

I use the MS Speech SDK in my Java programs. Same number of lines to get the same thing done in fox and VBasic. Using the IDE u can see all methods exposed.

Threads..... Java was multi-threaded long before 1/3 of all the languages in the visual Studio.

And the foot print thing isnt as big a deal as it is played out. Put a single form .Net app on a minimal system.... make sure .net runtime has to be initialised at run time and u will see it has a start up lag just like java. First time I did a dead start I thought the program wasnt running. If the .Net environment has already been initialize... the program will start in a blink.

But the OS optimizations are there. It does lock into the system more naturally.

The BIGGY.... and this is HUGE...................
    U CAN OPEN A .NET EXECUTABLE IN NOTEPAD AND SEE ALL THE CODE!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes.... I like that.

Simple example I want to access Active directory data in .NET simple API call or i use a class built into .net to access whatever information is needed. My references are my own personal experience dont need to ask someone i dont know for their opinion when i can do the same.Any information needed to optimize your application on win2k can be displayed via classess and win 32 API calls,.NET is more productive ("intellisense and built in COM and Dcom COmponenents") in Microsoft technologies.Can java manage threads better than .NET on a windows box ?,maybe but it would be very hard system.thread has methods optimized to run on windows.As for speed i the same Accounting app was written on both platforms running on Win 2k advance server dont ask which one lagged due to its huge memeory footprint.

It's fascinating how you write with such conviction. I wonder how that is possible. Let me ask you this: Are you interested in any other references other than your own?