View Poll Results: How many of you guys use java.

Voters
1. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 100.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using java

Default Anyone using java

Use of java in Jamaica

Default Re:Anyone using java

This should be an interesting survey

Uhh... I think your poll would be better off determining the the reason why people use Java at all, instead of determining the frequency as most people don't use Java for development purposes anyway. In other words, broaden the scope of the poll.

I would structure the poll such that:

Question: What do you use Java to do?
    • General purpose application or web programming
    • Game programming
    • Portability programming (i.e. on mobile devices)
    • Only as a framework for running other applications (eg. Limewire, servlets, web content)
    • Never used Java
    • What's Java?

I think that might make the poll a little more meaningful. Ofcourse, that's just a suggestion.

Thanks I try that?

If Web Apps are developed in Java Alot.A when the Creator Studio is finished expect Java use to rise.VB.NET is windows only for big software developers devloping on multipple platforms Java is the Way.
    Yeah ... but remember Java is just one Language.. Microsoft is now rolling out the CLR (Common Langauge Runtime) which is a platform independent, just-in-time, virtual machine that can run code compiled from differing languages such as VB .Net, ASP .Net, C# , J# and others ... more support to be added soon. It also give the functionailty of setting up runtime communication between these programs regardless of source language.

Most programmers stay true to certain languages and this gives them more flexibilty then the Java Runtime

Watchout Java!!! :-X

That maybe so but all those languages that you just mentioned comes to over $60,000 dollars worth of supporting sortware and hardware to run commercially. Now compare that with the entry cost of java. You see the barriers to entry of the ms solution is very and has remaided very itmidating.

I don't know about you guys ... but i really don't know what Microsoft is trying ..... microsoft has one and only one thing on their mind .... market domination ... i mean J# ... come on ... there is only one java and one java alone .... sun microsystems already made a "system independent" language .... can J# be compiled on a Linux box .... NOOOOO ... why ..... because MS doesn't want it to ..... they want ppl to move away from the original, true java, to their imitation java .... that is all .....

Default Re: Anyone using java

Quote Originally Posted by editor
    That maybe so but all those languages that you just mentioned comes to over $60,000 dollars worth of supporting sortware and hardware to run commercially. Now compare that with the entry cost of java. You see the barriers to entry of the ms solution is very and has remaided very itmidating.
    I agree with you editor, although i use the ms stuff its all about the moni for them and i have found a few bugs here and there but i would not give up the years of experience and hard work sun placed into their jvm.

I take anything Microsoft says about cross platform support and the like with a grain of salt, one huge grain. As aonekilla said, MS has only one thing in mind: Market Domination. It doesnt care about other operating sytems. They want to forward Windows, and Windows only. So for software development, I would rather go with a language from a company who has developers foremost in mind and no the advancement of their OS. I have heard good stuff about .NET, and I'm not going to bash it, ill probably end up learning it. But as for cross platform support, dont hold your breath.

Personally, I prefer Java. Its a powerful, mature language. Not a powerful as C, but you have to accept tradeoffs. Currently I am an ASP developer. But only because Im fresh out of school and thats what the company I work for uses.
    The answer you seek is *+5,2*3,2
    Check out my blog: http://rants.andreobrown.com

Java
    JavaScript
    VB
    VBscript
    ASP
    PHP
    Pascal
    Delphi
    ASM
    C
    C++
    C#
    Perl
    Jscript
    J#
    .Net
    COBOL
    FORTRAN
    Html
    Xml
    Soap
    DHTML

Does anybody see a trend? The list of programming/scripting languages gets
    longer every three years. What's hot? Well today it's Java but tomorrow something else will come along and force us to learn yet another cryptic computer babble.

I'm getting tired. I want to go back to the good old days when everything was done in assembly; "just kidding"

Although most of the above listed have died their timely death in the scope of
    advancement, some languages like C and C++ still remain the uncontested best for speed and low level functionalities.

So now the buzz word is "Cross Platform" unfortunately this is the new selling
    Point for developers and their products. Somebody correct me but doesn't this
    phrase implies "sharing". If everyone is porting their solutions to other
    Systems and interfacing with other languages and their components, then it seems like the big dogs don't really compete but rather cooperate.

They are succeeding in driving us mad with trying to keep up. And so we argue about what's best, Asp or PHP, DELPHI or Visual BASIC while trying to learn new languages in hopes to make ourselves more marketable.

If I were capable of writing my own compiler I would create a programming language derived from Jamaican patwa.

Possible Syntax.

If (dis nuh work) den
    try dis;
    Or go deh so
    Dun.

Bill Gates watch out!!
    Last edited by SpoonMan; Sep 9, 2004 at 06:34 AM.
    SPOONman