Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: need free HD cloning Utility

Yea so I had to do some cloning recently. The first thing I tried was clonezilla but that didn't work, at reaching one particular stage in the process it kept freezing up, well that's how it seemed me. There were a few prompts to go through and they weren't as straightforward as I would have liked so opted out of that one.

The next one I tried was hdclone free edition.
    This one was real intuitive and easy to use. Its seemed to do the job just fine. Taking 2 hours to clone a 40GB hardrive. A bit long I thought but it was my first time cloning a harddrive.
    • On completing the process I booted up using the old harddrive, the new one was set to slave, it worked fine.
    • Shut down and booted up using the new harddrive, it booted up too, but after booting I realized that applications weren't working right and I couldn't access Disk Manager and it kept freezing. I figured this was happening because ( I purposely didn't follow instructions) I didn't disconnect the old harddrive after cloning).
    • Disconnected the old hardrive and rebooted with the new drive. This time it froze at the windows log on screen and wouldn't move.

I'm not sure if this happened because I had failed to disable the old harddrive as is supposed to be done after a cloning procedure. I switched around the master and slave again and the same exact thing happened in each instance.

The program also had 4 read errors upon completing the process , I ran the cloning process 2 times and it still carried the same error. Based on the interface I guess the paid program works better. So this one clones the drive(slowly) but didn't allow me to use the new hard drive right off the bat.

Next I tried G parted recommended here by Nestersan. This one looked really promising. Easy to use too, the user interface responds a bit slowly but real easy to get used to. I noticed however that the software was showing blank for the used and unused portion of the disk, not sure why it was doing that but I went ahead. Ran the copy process and 2 seconds later it stops, saying it is unable to copy the harddrive. Clicked on the disk information button and it said there was at least one bad sector on the disk and it could not copy the disk.

(Before doing all of this cloning thing I had ran CHKDSK and it only found 4kb in a bad sector, all file systems were good. Ran chkdsk /f and /r.)
    G parted however had some issue with my source drive and it wouldn't budge. This program had everything, it cloned and allowed me to resize partitions. I'm not sure why it wasn't tolerating my harddrive.

The next program I tried was MaxBlast
    Its only supposed to be used with Maxtor harddrives. Used this and it only took like 15 minutes to clone a 40GB harddrive. No problems at all, worked perfectly, extremely easy to use and it allows me to resize the partition of the target harddrive. Real nice. I guess most hard drive manufacturers offer programs like these for free. This one from Maxtor is powered by Acronis. All the other programmes required me to create a boot disk, MaxBlast does everything from windows, no need for cds here.

I'm not sure why Gparted had a problem with my drive. In regard to Hdclone free edition maybe it didn't work because I failed to immediately remove the source drive after cloning, I'm not sure.

These are all free programs. I'm sure the paid programs are great. Acronis must be the best though, that MaxBlast application is wicked and its powered by Acronis.

For changing their manners and altering their customs, there is nothing better than music.
    Confusious 400 BC.

since this thread started i have actually used HD Clone free edition and i find it to be a pretty good program only downfall is that the free edition takes way to long to clone a drive (4 - 4 1/2 hours to clone a 80GB sata drive) the professional version is much faster does the same work in under an hour but the app works well apart from the slow speed and i didn't have any issue what so ever using the cloned drive, all programs and application could be accesses and used. I currently use Acronis True Image Home 11 for my cloning and backup purposes which is very fast and efficient but its not free so thats for my machine @ home but i do keep the HD Clone cd handy just in case i need to clone a drive on the go
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

not directly related to this but is there anything as versatile as partition magic that works on vista?

oh and selfimage is really good

is it possible to clone a drive and the image to be put on a another hdd via usb
    Smartphone: HTC One X: Rooted (Stock 4.0.4)
    Tablet: Apple iPad2 - 16GB
    Netbook: Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 160GB HD, 2GB
    By Faith All Things Are Possible

Quote Originally Posted by frass2000 View Post
    not directly related to this but is there anything as versatile as partition magic that works on vista?
    In regards to resizing partitions or just all the stuff in general that you could do with Partition Magic?

Quote Originally Posted by doncraig View Post
    is it possible to clone a drive and the image to be put on a another hdd via usb
    Often times disk/partition imaging functionality is part of the disk copying software. At the moment only commercial apps are coming to mind but if the apps already mentioned in the thread can't foot the bill I'm sure someone will chime in with [a free] one that can.

all the stuff u could do with it, convert and resize without formatting

Quote Originally Posted by Goucham View Post
    In regards to resizing partitions or just all the stuff in general that you could do with Partition Magic?

Often times disk/partition imaging functionality is part of the disk copying software. At the moment only commercial apps are coming to mind but if the apps already mentioned in the thread can't foot the bill I'm sure someone will chime in with [a free] one that can.
    yea i kno that part, what im saying is could u use a secondary hard drive via usb to clone the primary drive
    Smartphone: HTC One X: Rooted (Stock 4.0.4)
    Tablet: Apple iPad2 - 16GB
    Netbook: Intel Atom 1.6GHz, 160GB HD, 2GB
    By Faith All Things Are Possible