Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need free HD cloning Utility

Default need free HD cloning Utility

Hey, I am looking for a free software utility to make a exact replica of my current HD onto another HD. I want to pretty much clone my current IDE HD onto a new SATA HD. Do I need to make both partitions the same size?
    Usually I would just do a clean install but I can't be bothered to load all my software again and some of them I know I can't find. So any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.....
    I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
    Windows 7 Pro, Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H, AMD Athlon II 245, OCZ Reaper 2X2GB DDR2 1066, WD 500GB+WD 200GB, Cosair 400W, 23" eMachine 1080p Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Ghionw View Post
    Hey, I am looking for a free software utility to make a exact replica of my current HD onto another HD. I want to pretty much clone my current IDE HD onto a new SATA HD. Do I need to make both partitions the same size?
    Usually I would just do a clean install but I can't be bothered to load all my software again and some of them I know I can't find. So any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.....
    There are a quite a few programs that work well for this but i cant think of any free ones now. In terms of partioning, you dont have to make a partition as long as the drive your copying to is larger of of equal size as the drive being copied from then your safe. Below are good programs which can be used

Norton Ghost
    Acronis True Image
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

I Second norton ghost

respect for the suggestions.... I really looking for a free utility as I don't foresee doing something like this too often or again for that matter. I will continue my search....
    I went to a bookstore and asked the saleswoman, "Where's the self-help section?" She said if she told me, it would defeat the purpose.
    Windows 7 Pro, Gigabyte MA785GM-US2H, AMD Athlon II 245, OCZ Reaper 2X2GB DDR2 1066, WD 500GB+WD 200GB, Cosair 400W, 23" eMachine 1080p Monitor

A quick google search found this

http://www.thefreecountry.com/utilit...andimage.shtml

It lists lots of backup utilities but i haven't tried any of them so i cant comment on usage or effectiveness. I hope this helps
    MATADOR: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R, C2Q Q9400 @ 3.4GHz, ZALMAN CNPS9500, 6GB GSkill, Crucial C300 SSD 128GB, 2x 2TB WD Caviar Black, Diamond HD5850, 2x Plextor DVD+RW, RAIDMAX Scoprio 668WBP Case, Rosewill Xtreme Series RX850-D-B 850W, Dell E228FP WideScreen 22", Logitech Z-2300, Windows 7 Pro x64

Respect RZA. I will read on those mentioned in that link and try to find some others.....

Gparted Live CD: FREE

http://gparted.sourceforge.net

a) Booting off the livecd, GParted shows the harddrive contains a NTFS partition we want to copy (/dev/hda). We want to copy the ntfs partition to the second harddrive : /dev/hdb.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/move/move.htm

Let Them Hate, So Long As They Fear.
    You do not know whereof you speak,and your words are empty things.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

http://twitter.com/nestersan

pt2.

ATTENTION PLEASE ! DON'T REBOOT RIGHT NOW !!! If you do this, it will be a big crash! Actually you have the same windows XP on both hard drive. From the second hard drive, XP cant boot, because there is no MBR for the moment ! But if you try to reboot, the first hard drive will run XP and seeing the second XP on the second hard drive, it will be a kind of disaster ! Windows cant bear windows ! So, just unplug both hard drive, and plug the new one as master, leaving the other one for the moment.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.

Yea i used norton ghost and true image and they are both very good. i kinda have a preference for true image because i have it on a utility cd that i boot from so there is no need to be installing and worrying about registration.

Usually I would just do a clean install but I can't be bothered to load all my software again and some of them I know I can't find.
    is this current installation stable? if not it wudnt make any sence imaging that partition because it wud be running exactly as it is now on the new harddrive. i wud recommend imaging ur drive after a fresh install of OS and software so everytime u revert to the clone state u revert to a stable install.

Nester that cd seems like a very good tool to have. am gonna download it now.
    To find what you seek in the road of life, the best proverb of all is that which says: "Leave no stone unturned." Edward Bulwer Lytton

I used it Sat. for first time to resize a partition fro a Vista Install.

****in' impressive....
    Added to my util cdcase right then and there.
    Listen and gain Wisdom.