Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: JFLAG President Chopped to Death

Default Re: JFLAG President Chopped to Death

I slept throught the PBS showing of stringy theory... I was so pissed
    Those who do not understand UNIX are doomed to reinvent it poorly.

Default Re: JFLAG President Chopped to Death

While backtracking through some old posts, discovered this. I know it's pretty late, but better l8 than never:

Quote Originally Posted by rhys
    My question is this: What of the small percentage of humans born with mixed and/or ambiguous gender? What do they do? If it is indeed a choice how do they make the "correct" one?
    - A physical malformation is different from a psychological propensity. In cases where corrective surgery can be performed, the sex of the individual is determined using the following process:

1. In the case of multiple organs, the organ which is the most well developed or the one to which the hormone count (i.e. the higher measure of X to Y hormones) corresponds the most, is determined to be the sex of the individual.

2. If the sex is ambiguous, a hormone count easily resolves the issue, and the correct organ is surgically constructed.

Even if corrective surgery isn't possible, people with ambiguous genders often "feel" either left or right wing. Even if they feel both, one propensity is usually much stronger than the other. I find that people who have malformed genders are usually the result of an underdeveloped twin - a situation where the cell split in the first stage of pregnancy never split right down the middle or at all. The chemical reactions which would normally become the precursor to the split never completed, in some cases, the cell doesn't split at all. But if your sex is obvious, and the propensity is deviant, that's a whole other ballgame. This is a very different condition from what we were talking about earlier.