Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: NOVA

Default Re:NOVA

Thats Why a company's HR department is so important because,a techie who cant manage is a operational staff and should not be given a mangement post,It is assumed he would have had manegerial training somewhere.BlackCryptoKnight i have nothing against Is managers who cant do this or that personally.I have something against IS managers who set unrealistic deadlines and tasks because they dont know the innards of the task at hand.One of the most brilliant programmers i know left his last job because his boss did not understand task complexity and thus could not manage his projects.

BUT.. i can delegate to my staff to do the technical comparison.. and i can work one the Total Cost of ownership...
    So

No I's (this is not a personal thing) this is not about u,u are an MCSE and u will be able to effectively supervise many aspects of your company's IT operations.But they are managers not like U who cant do anything and they are still good IT manegers,so wouldn't these people improve by learning some tech stuff.

SQL.. part of the mangment process is communication.. I believe that deadline settings must be realistic. You know the porblem with technical people, they do nor know how to magnet their time. The will give a deadline, and thy only tell you about the problem when the deadline is up on them. Deadline setting is a collabrative process. Both parties must be realsitc. When a deadline is due don'tcome and tell mi boy yu have X and Y, let me know way in advance. Many time is not the manager who is unrealsitc, it is the staff who cause undue press becasue of poor time maangement. Remember the IT manager reports to some also. The timelines does not only affect you the programmer it impacts upon what the deparment/company has to do.

Well I may have missed it but I sure don't see one. Does Nova have a website? If so please post

www.nova.edu - General web site

www.scis.nova.edu... School of Computer and Information Systems

Some additional highlights about Nova
    Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences (SCIS)

Highlights for April 2004

Report to NSU Trustees National Security Agency (NSA) Certifies SCIS’s Information Security Curriculum

In April, the school’s curriculum in information security was certified by the U.S.National Security Agency (NSA) for compliance with the requirements of the Committee
    on National Security Systems (CNSS) standards. Certification covered the school’s M.S. and Ph.D. courses and specializations in information security. As a result of this
    certification: (1) NSU will be added to NSA's list of referrals for students who seek training in the INFOSEC field; (2) Federal civilian and military personnel will be permitted to take our certified courses under government sponsorship; (3) NSU will receive recognition and a certificate during the next CNSS Annual Conference (certificates will be presented by the Assistant Secretary of Defense for Command,
    Control, Communications and Intelligence); (4) NSU will be authorized to issue certificates to students who complete its certified courses; and (5) NSU will be permitted
    to use the CNSS logo on its certificates, literature, and advertising. Starting in June 2004, based on the NSA certification, the school will begin offering the M.S. in Information Security on-campus and online. In addition, a five-course graduate certificate program is being planned. Only two other Florida institutions have received NSA certification:
    Florida State University and St. Petersburg College. Both offer undergraduate certificate programs but nothing more.

With 246 members, the NSU student chapter of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE) is now the largest such chapter in Florida. Other large chapters in Florida are at the University of Florida (240 members), the University of South Florida (191 members) and the University of Central Florida (169 members).