Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macintosh

Default Macintosh

I have been realizing that people in Jamaica dont really buy macintosh computers. As a matter of fact i only know 2 people who own macintosh computers in Jamaica right now. Now i just want to know. Why is it that people dont buy macintosh computers, you cant say they are in any way bad graphically, becuz they have the best kind of graphics, they have a hype dual processing system that competes with most AMD and Intel chips.
    My friend has a powermac G4 that.... whooosh had over 1.8 Ghz and he owned it for about 2 years now, and at the time he owned it 64 mb graphics cards were not though of but his had one. I mean macintosh seems like to be the perfect system. They have full software support from 90 percent of the companies. SO y dont people buy them. would somebody like to enlighten me please

Default Re:Macintosh

Skillachi, as we all know and you've said it, Macs are good machines especially when it comes to working with graphics. But why aren't they popular locally? Simple, there's VERY limited support for Macs locally. How easy is it to get Mac parts, peripherals and accessories locally? Where would you get Mac software to buy (or evaluate )? Which technician would you call to service your Mac? Simply put, the support base is extremely limited.

You mentioned that you only know of 2 persons with Macs. If you check most ad agencies and graphics design houses, they'll have Macs. I wouldn't be surprised if you also found Macs in the offices of the local newspapers. Anywhere graphics is worked on a regular basis, you'll probably find Macs. Interestingly though, Allied Insurance Brokers on Belmont Road use Macs in their offices They're not into graphics, but use the Macs to run their brokerage system which more than likely was written specifically for the Macs which would explain why they're using Macs.

Oh, another point just struck me. Mac parts and accessories tend to be more expensive that PC parts and accessories and the variety is also more limited. This is yet another reason for the limited use of Macs locally.

The only company that I know of that even stocked Mac software was CBS and they stopped doing so a few years ago, they also had macs and accessories available then!!

Otherwise I have only seen macs in ad agencies as Chris mentioned.

With wat you have been saying Chris i must say thanx. you Taught me something new. But question, Arent all software for windows now compatible with mac. My friend with the powermac has office 2000 on his, and he has internet explorer, So y really is software a problem. And about getting hardware, i realize now that it is tru. But Intcomex is slowly bringing in Mac parts, though. Ive seen dem selling like 2 or 3 things.

That's a gross overstatement. Macs lag FAR behind when it comes to haveing ported versions of windows software. Mind you, most everything you can do on a PC you can find a comaprable program on the Mac, but it's not a port.

Microsoft long ago hopped into the Mac arena by porting it's office applicaions and browser to the new arcitechture seeing a how in was not x86 based, but other companies didn't follow their lead.

One software category in which you will suffer though is games. Macs are notorious for NOT being game machines. It may have comaprable processor speeds to the fastest PCs, but it just doesn't have the backing of game developers the way PCs do. So if you're into gaming and you want a Mac, you better brush up on your C.

[quote author=Skillachi link=board=3;threadid=441;start=0#msg3213 date=1044975984]But question, Arent all software for windows now compatible with mac. My friend with the powermac has office 2000 on his, and he has internet explorer, So y really is software a problem.[/quote]

Microsoft had created a Mac version of Office so what you're seeing on your friends Mac is more than likely Office for the Mac as opposed to Office for Windows running on a Mac

[quote author=Skillachi link=board=3;threadid=441;start=0#msg3213 date=1044975984]And about getting hardware, i realize now that it is tru. But Intcomex is slowly bringing in Mac parts, though. Ive seen dem selling like 2 or 3 things.
    [/quote]

Intcomex may have 2 or 3 Mac items but when compared to the dozens of other PC items that they carry, it a mere drop in the bucket. Remember also that there are other items that they carry as PC items which will work with the Mac. Most USB and firewire/i.Link/IEEE1394 devices are compatible with both the PC and Mac. As a matter of fact, I do believe that both USB and FireWire standards started with the Macs and caught on with PCs. So the Macs have been associated with innovation.

I can think of 6 companies that use Macintosh computers. As has been said, the typical marketing/advertising company uses them since the graphics are awesome.

I was really impressed to see the kind of artwork that can be produced on some of these machines. If I were in that environment, I would definitely use one.

I have a problem with Mac prices, however. Apple has a monopoly over the equipment so prices are high. I remember once hearing a quote for a low end server

In two environments, I noticed that they tended to hang up when printing large reports. Don't know if this is an issue with them generally...

I have never seen them use DHCP. I was once told by a Mac network admin. that the technology didn't exist in that environment even though they used TCP/IP.

Weird.

[quote author=jamrock link=board=3;threadid=441;start=0#msg3226 date=1045018525]
    I was really impressed to see the kind of artwork that can be produced on some of these machines. If I were in that environment, I would definitely use one....

[/quote]
    People have been saying that the Mac is good at producing impressive graphics for a loooong time and i guess that's the reason why marketing/advertising companies prefer to use them over a PC, but i would like to know what is it about the Mac that gives it the ability to create impressive artwork that a well equipped PC(for the same price/even less) these days don't have? Honestly i don't belive that the Mac still have the edge over the PC in that regard, well may be in people's head i guess :-\

[quote author=DarkAngel link=board=3;threadid=441;start=0#msg3229 date=1045022346]
    People have been saying that the Mac is good at producing impressive graphics for a loooong time and i guess that's the reason why marketing/advertising companies prefer to use them over a PC, but i would like to know what is it about the Mac that gives it the ability to create impressive artwork that a well equipped PC(for the same price/even less) these days don't have? Honestly i don't belive that the Mac still have the edge over the PC in that regard, well may be in people's head i guess :-\
    [/quote]

DarkAngel, you've raised a point which made me start thinking again about the apparent graphics advantages that the Mac has over the PC. Is it really in people's heads?

I did a little searching and came up with this review: Mac vs. PC III: Mac Slaughtered Again. Clearly we may not want to use just one independent review to draw conclusions, but the facts are hard to fight - that modern PCs will give Macs a run for their money in the graphics performance department.

As a non-Mac user, I don't know if there are other factors that these performance tests don't take into account but will sway in favour of the Mac. We'll just have to hear from Mac users on that one.

[quote author=Chris link=board=3;threadid=441;start=0#msg3232 date=1045058550]
    DarkAngel, you've raised a point which made me start thinking again about the apparent graphics advantages that the Mac has over the PC. Is it really in people's heads?

I did a little searching and came up with this review: Mac vs. PC III: Mac Slaughtered Again. Clearly we may not want to use just one independent review to draw conclusions, but the facts are hard to fight - that modern PCs will give Macs a run for their money in the graphics performance department.

As a non-Mac user, I don't know if there are other factors that these performance tests don't take into account but will sway in favour of the Mac. We'll just have to hear from Mac users on that one.
    [/quote]
    Yeah i think it is still in people's heads, no wonder why ad, marketing and even some web design firms (For the graphical part of web design) have loads of Macs and even require webmasters to know their way around a Mac. This thing about Macs been better at graphics is a myth, certainly in this day and age and the benchmark results proves it.